Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Honda
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I have a D16A7 sohc non vtec motor that i turbo'd and making 200 hp and boosting 0.7 bar and i have smoking problems due to piston rings and having sump compression so i thought i could buy myself a sohc vtec motor and fit that cause i do have a management installed ( Dicktator Std ) and it should just be dropped in and start or am i missing something,? which motor is the best D15b Or D16z6 ,D16y1 , D16y8 ?? i will fit the following on the Vtec motor:

Cometic head gasket
T28 Turbo
Log manifold
HKS BOV
Intercooler
50 mm boost pipes
440cc injectors
255 l/ph feul pump
Normal plugs
STD piston and Rods
50mm downpipe
Stage 2 cam

What is the prices am i looking at for the motor as i am in South -Africa:3dtard:

·
Registered
AUSDM EG8 Sedan
457 Posts
D16y1 is the australian version of the D16z6 - they are pretty much the same thing

i would say it depends on the car and wiring harness already in the car - if its OBD1 than go D16z6/D16y1 - if its OBD2 than get D16y8 =)

·
Registered
ek cp ,02 vue awd v6
211 Posts
D16y1 is the australian version of the D16z6 - they are pretty much the same thing

i would say it depends on the car and wiring harness already in the car - if its OBD1 than go D16z6/D16y1 - if its OBD2 than get D16y8 =)
i second that put if its a y8 u choose port the oil pump

·
Registered
Honda
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply guys

I got myself the D16a Sohc vtec motor from John's engine and gearbox in Boksburg

I opened the motor this past saturday the 12/8/2011 and everything looks really well, the engine was never been abused or over revved because of the Auto box i think....?

the Q i do have is will the d16y9 south african model motor distributor fit on the d16a sohc vtec head or will there be a problem and the same with the Intake manifold..

My car has the OBD2 harness

·
Registered
THE CRX
977 Posts
isnt d16a with no number designation a jdm? cause all the other ones are american and euro. No updates for the d series model site on it either. Anyways i would go with either one, if you want to build a mini me vtec then you chould do the z6 bottom end with y8 head. Or you can do the d16a bottom end with the z6 head. The z6 cam is known to be more aggressive than the y8's, its bottom end doesnt have oil issues either, but the y8 head is ported wider, better airflow.Otherwise just build a complete model.

I see you have done some research on the model, we cant make a decision for you of course, but in the end you are gonna have to choose which one fits YOU. The specs for a mini me build are the same all around, for obd1, obd2, cable, or hydro tranny.

Your car will have the obd2 harness though thanks to it being a y7. IMO, the obd1 z6 build would be better, but since you have obd2 converting wont make much difference in this case. Just go ahead and get the y8 head and call it a day, that way you wont go through major issues, belying what you already have lying ahead.Not to mention ou are going to need a tuner who knows what they are doing so your vtec enagement doesnt kick in before the turbo interfering with the injection process.

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
Not to mention ou are going to need a tuner who knows what they are doing so your vtec enagement doesnt kick in before the turbo interfering with the injection process.
excuse me???

·
Registered
THE CRX
977 Posts
timing the fuel maps so they dont overlap dude. thats it. a not so easy to learn from a book tune.

dont blow a gasket :wacko:

·
Registered
THE CRX
977 Posts
and thats only recommended, unless he just turns it off which would be easier.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Dude get your shit straight. The y8 head doesn't have as good of ports as the z6 but it has a better quench area in the combustion chamber. You can have the z6's combustion chamber reshaped to mimmic a y8 but the z6 is the better head for flow. It has straighter runners because the valves are more angled whereas the y8 makes a turn down into the ports. They are both good heads but each on has it's advantages.

I do agree with you about the z6 bottom end though. The y8 is notorious for oiling issues because of the lack of oil ports on the crank and elsewhere

·
Registered
THE CRX
977 Posts
i have a z6, and thats NOT what people with y8's have been telling me.

·
Registered
THE CRX
977 Posts
I ask people why ALL the time, i PREFER the z6, for my own reasons, i get the same answer everytime, THEY believe it produces better airflow. Why it does was also explained so i added it to my knowledge center. Some engines are just MADE better than others despite the make and model.

People port z6 heads all the time and get excellent results, what i plan on doing with mine, and a regrind. People port y8 heads and get great results. Minis are getting down to a science now just take your pick, most people with y8's prefer a z6 bottom for the reason i said. I didnt make it up.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
I ask people why ALL the time, i PREFER the z6, for my own reasons, i get the same answer everytime, THEY believe it produces better airflow. Why it does was also explained so i added it to my knowledge center. Some engines are just MADE better than others despite the make and model.

People port z6 heads all the time and get excellent results, what i plan on doing with mine, and a regrind. People port y8 heads and get great results. Minis are getting down to a science now just take your pick, most people with y8's prefer a z6 bottom for the reason i said. I didnt make it up.
They like the y8 for the quench then. But the z6 bottom end is superior for sure. And it gives a comp boost. I might just have my z6 head reshaped when I do my turbo build. Seen it done on a b series years ago. The made it look like a y8 cc

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Just double checked it and yes the z6 def out flows a y8 head. Search z6 vs y8 ports cuz I don't have a link to the thread. The thread clearly explains why as well.

·
Registered
THE CRX
977 Posts
so are we talking stock or aem porting? not wanting to play semantics here, but neither one should need to be ported until a major boost is under way as it is. Like i said, i have reason to like the z6 over the y8, but in the end i guess its all relative when it comes to machine work. I always knew it had a more aggressive cam but since its compared to a y8 as far as power goes a few people may have thought it flowed better. In reality it all depends on who you ask, alot of peeps on here have done comparisons and in the end it just comes down to preference and what you are willing to put into your idea to make it work. I can believe one thread, but then i would have to believe them all. Since i dont have a y8 nor have worked on one, i dont know for sure. I could chop it up to the manufacturing really.

·
Registered
THE CRX
977 Posts
:bigok:B20 vtec

·
Registered
THE CRX
977 Posts
^^^^
check!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts