Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, please don't tell me to search, I have been searching and asking questions for my engine for the past 2-3 weeks. (sorry for the intro)

Anyways, I am building a rockcrawler buggy with a Honda D15 out of a Civic. I am trying to get this buggy done by the end of April so I can enter a race with it May 9-11th, so PLEASE help me with suggestions, telling me to search does not help, so if thats what you are going to say, don't bother (it's bad when you search, and find nothing but threads where people are told to search...)

Ok, here goes:

D15 out of a Civic (94' I think?) Thats ALL I know about it, if there is anything else I NEED to know, let me know where to look.

I've got it torn apart, had the block cleaned, currently being powdercoated.

I want to build it with more power than it had stock, but I'm not looking to break the dyno's. I have a Apexi turbo manifold, and am going to mount a T25 turbo on it (from a 300Z). I only plan to run between 5-7 PSI.

So, on that note, what do I need to do to this engine to make it run/perform reliably?

Do I need Vitara pistons? If so, what rods do I use?
I have a engine seal/gasket kit, from Yonaka Racing, the head gasket is a Kabuki gasket (paid $18 shipped off ebay), are these seals/gaskets OK to use?

Also, I'm just doing a valve job on it, but leaving the valves/springs stock.
I'd like to keep this engine as cheap as possible, but I want to build it right the first time too, like I said, not looking for tons of power.

So, PLEASE give me suggestions, what to do/not to do. I can fab whatever needed, and get any machine work done, but the main thing is, I have VERY LITTLE time to do this, so I need to get it done ASAP. The search function on this and many other websites work, but like I said, most of the threads as junk where people are told to search. I'd like to have the engine back together within a week or two at most, but I have GOT to order whatever parts I need ASAP. Because once I get it together, I'll have to get it dyno tuned so it will run properly.

Thanks for the help.
-Michael

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
First off, please don't tell me to search, I have been searching and asking questions for my engine for the past 2-3 weeks. (sorry for the intro)

Anyways, I am building a rockcrawler buggy with a Honda D15 out of a Civic. I am trying to get this buggy done by the end of April so I can enter a race with it May 9-11th, so PLEASE help me with suggestions, telling me to search does not help, so if thats what you are going to say, don't bother (it's bad when you search, and find nothing but threads where people are told to search...)

Ok, here goes:

D15 out of a Civic (94' I think?) Thats ALL I know about it, if there is anything else I NEED to know, let me know where to look. look just to the right of where the header mounts to the head. on the block there will be a stamp. it should read d15b(something).

I've got it torn apart, had the block cleaned, currently being powdercoated.

I want to build it with more power than it had stock, but I'm not looking to break the dyno's. I have a Apexi turbo manifold, and am going to mount a T25 turbo on it (from a 300Z). I only plan to run between 5-7 PSI.

So, on that note, what do I need to do to this engine to make it run/perform reliably? nothing, just rebuild it. since your not going to big numbers, a stock rebuild is fine.

Do I need Vitara pistons? nope, unless you plan on going for more power If so, what rods do I use? currently crower is the only maker of usdm d15 rods.
I have a engine seal/gasket kit, from Yonaka Racing, the head gasket is a Kabuki gasket (paid $18 shipped off ebay), are these seals/gaskets OK to use? don't honestly know. i always use oem. but some have found that the ebay kits are good. but i would at least look at a different hg. also add a new water pump if you did not have one already.

Also, I'm just doing a valve job on it, but leaving the valves/springs stock.
I'd like to keep this engine as cheap as possible, but I want to build it right the first time too, like I said, not looking for tons of power. you don't have to do this if you don't want to. but a nice port job will not hurt. its up to you on how much money you have. also how much down time you can spare.

So, PLEASE give me suggestions, what to do/not to do. I can fab whatever needed, and get any machine work done, but the main thing is, I have VERY LITTLE time to do this, so I need to get it done ASAP. The search function on this and many other websites work, but like I said, most of the threads as junk where people are told to search. I'd like to have the engine back together within a week or two at most, but I have GOT to order whatever parts I need ASAP. Because once I get it together, I'll have to get it dyno tuned so it will run properly.

Thanks for the help.
-Michael
if you want a little more punch out of the top end. you can use a d16a6 cam with a d16y7 or d16y8 cam gear. its a nice little upgrade vs the stock pump.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANK YOU.

I'm going to put new rings/bearings in it and hone the bores to whatever they need. I had thought I wouldn't need the Vitara pistons, just wanted to make sure.

I'll look into a different head gasket, that was the main thing I was worried about, the rest of the gaskets would probably be similar with any kit. I'll go ahead and put a water pump/timing belt on it as well.

Any more suggestions are highly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
I would look into a Jackson Supercharger. This is the ONLY time I would suggest this simply because you said its for a rock crawler. You would get more low end torque and instant response out of it. I have seen some go used for 600-800. It will bolt right onto that D15.

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
2-3 weeks of searching....

try years of researching.

go search all your questions have been answered many times. or use the noob forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Already have a turbo, and spending another 700 on a supercharger is out of the question. It is a small turbo so it should spool up quickly.

When I say "rockcrawling", I have a Toyota Tacoma now (for sale actually), but I want something smaller and FASTER, so this should definetly be faster. I expect I'll have to throttle up stuff instead of crawl it.

And "guest", like I said which obviously you did not see, I have searched, but I need to get this thing done ASAP (very short time frame) because I still have to build the entire chassis, get tons of other parts, axles, tires, etc.

My gasket kit did not come with the correct rocker seals, (3 round, one looks like an "8"-one large hole, one small), so I'll have to get those somewhere else. The head should be done in a couple days though. Hopefully the block will be done as well so I can start re-assembling it.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
First off Search! Just kidding. I doubt theres much info in here about building an engine for rock crawling anyway. You might want to look at some of the builds people do for auto X they ussually need more low end HP and would be close example of what you need. In my opinion I would deffinatly run a different head gasket if you are boosting. Commetic or OEM. You might want to look into ARP headstuds, but I'm not sure if they are made for the D15. Other than that I would agree that it's a good idea to change the water pump. I would also replace the timing belt. Good luck with the build.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Get a different head gasket, stock OE honda or Cometic. Use Head bolts (arp will be fine). What D15 motor is it, should have more numbers other than just D15. Look on the short block, upper left hand side - tranny side and where the cyl. head meets. Should say exact block ID.

Second, basic vitara setup will be fine. Tuner Toy rods are popular. Fuel pump, injectors, honda ECU OBD1 dyno tune, good ground system are some of the other things that are gonna be needed....

Do u have a downpipe for that akward flanged 300zx turbo? If not, search on google for a flange proper for that turbo and run a healthy DP to exhaust...

Since ur stock head, that leaves some desire on the top end but not required. If your planning on see the rev limiter as your climbing - i would look into some cyl head hardware, just to be safe.

What are you doing about oil pressure??? Since ur climbing, ur extreme angles are going to be putting a strain on oilin' the system....

What other Q's do you have??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts