Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve never built a D series and I’m starting a turbo build for my 94’ dx. It has the 1.5 non vtec. I want to boost it w vitara no-notch h-beams and swap in a vtec head ( w the proper high fuel map ecu ofc) but im havin trouble finding a trustworthy turbo kit and don’t know which vtec head will fit my block. If y’all can slide some links or give advice it’d be much appreciated

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was planning on using some vitara long rod h beams but upon reading more specs it doesn’t look like they’ll fit my block without smacking the head so d16 block it is

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Skip the vtec head. Just make sure you buy rods MADE for the d15b2//d15b7

here is a kit I see that seems legit

I highly recommend you buy a kit with pistons that are slightly oversize (75.25 or 75.5mm bore) and drop everything off at a machine shop, and have them go over everything. Mkae sure your block is actually good, make sure the rods and pistons are properly sized (seller error is possible, we are humans afterall), and also, BALANCE everything. Your engine's life will be exponentially increased after this.

Its a good chunk fo change to have this all done, but you will be happily capable of boosting beyond 300 horsepower.

This setup is gonna have TERRIBLE compression. This will mean the engine will struggle to push a large turbo. A small T25, like garrett, or an OEM turbo off an Audi or subaru, will spool and be fun.

The real solution to that is to use headstuds, a thin MLS headgasket for a d16y8, and shave whatever cylinder head you intend on using, and use an adjustable camgear to compensate for head thickness loss, as shaving the head naturally retards the cam timing. With low compression, you will want to advance the cam gear anyways a little bit, leave it to a dyno tuner to find the happy spot

You are starting with 7.25 to 7.6 compression with this kit. Strive for 9:1 at a minimum, I prefer going all the way to 11:1 if possible if you keep it under 250whp, it will be super snappy, responsive, and reliable with a good tuner on 91 octane fuel. Then just use pump 93 octane when possible to reduce chances of detonation on a hot day sitting in stop and go traffic

EDIT wanted to add. I realize I said skip vtec head, but go for higher compression. That is simply to remove issues related to vtec. Many civic owners over the years abuse the vtec engines, and this is simply to avoid it for now. You can certainly add it in later on in the future, when you wire your car for vtec, and find a GOOD vtec head. Many of them already require quite a few parts to perform well, such as Lost Motion Assemblies (keeps things from rattling when NOT in vtec), valve guides, valve seats are usually beat up from high revving, and generally need a good once over anyways. A good way to maintain non-vtec, but see a nice compression bump, is to use a 96-00 d16y7 head. Found by the hundreds for cheap! Cam choice is pretty much zero, unless you score old school cams, so Delta for a regrind would be best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts