Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
setup: d16y8 with obd1 conversion/chipped.. 105300 zex cam with stock retainers but zex springs. 10.5 compression srp pistons. SRP camgear. I/H/E and msd ignition kit.

I installed a nitrous kit a few months ago. Engine got screwed because the shop actually got the jets mixed up and sprayed 120 shot instead of 50 :) ..anyhow, they replaced pistons, rods, block but did nothing to the head which at the time they claimed was fine. Now after the break-in period, i can hear this weird 'tapping' sound..sounds like it would if the valve lash was completely out but its not since i've had it checked twice. one of the mechanics claimed it was the 'rockers' making the tapping sound and when i asked what i should do they said "change the head"..

problem is, i'm the only guy in my country with a y8..i ordered this head off ebay and went through alot of trouble to swap it on the y5's that honda is selling here. The disel-like tapping sound is there when i start the car..when its idling you can hear it the loudest.. i dont know if its a floating valve or if its because of the rockers are screwed..

Can i just swap in the rocker assembly from another d15 head? since i cant really swap a y5 head on there as my cam wont fit. The d15 also has sliding rockers right? any other head the rocker assembly would be compatible with? and last but not least, given the scenario what do you guys think this sound could be caused by?

thanks in advance and my apologies for the lengthy post

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
true, typical zex/compcam, used to run that cam too..
could have bin easier i guess if u just used a d15b/z6 head ?
and install an adjustable camgear to fix the half tooth thingy...

too much trouble for sending the head to ur place..
but thats just me...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts