Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out that the d16 pistons won't fit...but someone told me that the d17 pistons were basically the same as the d15 pistons....

So my question is could I get d17 forged piston (if they exist) and put them in a d15 for a cheap big boost motor?

The person said they have the same compression height...I guess its the same from the pin to the top?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
know the d15b ones aren't....and i was told the d17 pistons were also different.....

The good thing is they are all the same diameter.

Thanks
Stephen

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,291 Posts
crxtscy said:
I thought all dseries pistons were the same?
please don't think, it confuses people.

No USDM piston has the same compression height as the D15B VTEC piston, some are close though.

WHat are you looking to do with your compression, up or down?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am looking to go down to 8.0:1
I know its not possible with the vitara pistons but also that would be around 9.0:1...so i am looking for an engine that is cheap and can handle 20~ pounds of boost.

My current plan is to just build a D16z6 and stick with that but i am also going to be buying a hatch soon and it needs a motor....i found some good deals and thought it would be a fun DD.

Thanks
Stephen

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not the d16 to be the DD

The d15 that would be built to be in the other car....my showish car....

Also both will be boosted

·
Registered
602 Posts
I thought the d16a1 pistons were higher comp than the d15b? regardless, the d16a1 pistons in a d15b will be higher comp by alot... think it works out to 11:1 or `12:1.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
they are the same bore yes...but the height from the pin is different.... the 1.5 and 1.7 are soposed to be the same....i am looking to make a huge boost motor so a low compression high boost motor that is cheap is prefect.

Thanks
Stephen

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,291 Posts
I'll look up the specs, the D17's might work. Also some has used a VX bottom end with a Y7 head, compression was about 7.5:1 and he was running 13-14 psi HMT setup.

But unless your tunning is dead nuts PERFECT I don't see the rods and piston holding.......I know what others have done, damn lucky IMHO.

Better lucky than good right?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
where would I find the specs...also i am having problems finding d17 pistons that are forged.

Thanks
Stephen

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i don't care if it blows up every one and a while, there are a few things that can be cheap and relaible......I just can't think of any

1 - 20 of 22 Posts