Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there i've got a few questions. I'm thinking of swapping the cylinder head from my D14A4 with one from a civic LSI D15. I just have a few questions.

1.) Will it be a straight swap - i.e. unplug everything, old head off, new head on, new head bolts and gasket, job done?

2.) Will I need different manifolds. (If i dont is this a good idea anyway?)

3.) The D15 head has VTEC cams on it as far as i'm aware. What would I have to do to my ecu to take advantage of this and install some VTEC fuel maps?

4.) Finally, what kind of HP gains am I lookin at? I'm putting a K&N induction kit on soon, good for 10-15hp im guessin?

Thanks for any help guys:)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi there i've got a few questions. I'm thinking of swapping the cylinder head from my D14A4 with one from a civic LSI D15. I just have a few questions.

1.) Will it be a straight swap - i.e. unplug everything, old head off, new head on, new head bolts and gasket, job done?

2.) Will I need different manifolds. (If i dont is this a good idea anyway?)

3.) The D15 head has VTEC cams on it as far as i'm aware. What would I have to do to my ecu to take advantage of this and install some VTEC fuel maps?

4.) Finally, what kind of HP gains am I lookin at? I'm putting a K&N induction kit on soon, good for 10-15hp im guessin?

Thanks for any help guys:)
The only D15 vtec i know is the Vtec-e(d15z6) or the the Jdm D15B (2 or 3stage Vtec).Either way swapping on a d15b2/b7 head is even worse then your d14 head.Swap on a D16Z6 or y8 ,or D15B head ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why is it worse? that's a shame, where can I get a D16Z6 or y8? What is the difference between them?

·
Registered
682 Posts
why is it worse? that's a shame, where can I get a D16Z6 or y8? What is the difference between them?

D15b2 /b7 uses smaller valves .D14a4/a3 is just the same head as the Y7,it uses the same valves 30mm intake and 26mm exhaust.
y8 head gives you more compression then the z6

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how much more compression would i get - would it be worthwhile doing? Also i'd get VTEC with the Y8 - I take it that Y7 hasn't got it

·
Registered
172 Posts
you could do the mini-me (that is add a sohc vtec head) or keep the d14 engine and tune it. That is, place a big cam, increase compression ratio, and go obd1 in order to rev higher.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
your suggesting i keep the D14 head then? What performance cams would be a good idea for me if i was gonna go obd1 and rev to around 7500 rpm?

How else can I improve compression as you suggested? I'd use a Y8 head gasket, not sure about any other ways...

I'd be keeping my stock pistons (not sure which ones ive got), rods, and bearings what can these handle rpm-wise?

If it'd be worthwhile getting a power cam for the D14 head instead of VTEC i'd upgrade the valve springs too along with header and IM. What power would i be lookin at?

Finally: An important question. MOT! i.e. emissions testing!!! Comes around once a year and i'd be a little pissed if having changed the IM, header and cam that my car didnt pass on emissions. Obviously i could revert back to the stock restricting air box and cat but would this be enough?

thanks for any help guys

·
Registered
172 Posts
if you tune d14 w/o going vtec, things are more complicated as you have to do some custom work. For example you could send your cam to bisimoto for a regrind. As for retainers and valve springs i don't think it will be a problem as they are the same with other heads (?). Then you have to go obd1 (ecu,iacv,harness,intake manifold, TB, dizzy) so as to tune the ecu and rev higher. As for the compression any thinner periformance gasket will do as they have the same pattern with other d engines.
BUT i don't think you are ever going to pass emitions tests if the cam is very big.. Of course this has to do with ecu tuning as well.
As for bottom end parts, this is a major problem, as rods and pistons are different comparing to d16 d15. I am afraid you have to go custom.. And this costs a lot. Are there any off the shelf products for this engine?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts