Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I blew my d15y7 out of my 00 civic so the motor is out and I just found one of these d15 dual vtec motors. It isnt the z1 that is found here in USA but the JDM one, waspurchased though a engine store (engine depot) and never used, and now I got it.

What if any should I kno before I go swapping this motor in my ek? am i gonna have problems with conflicting sensors or anything like that? I will be using the y7 distributor and I got a y8 intake manifold I can use if it would benifiet the motor or make less problems. It looks like the d15 has a extra sensor underneath the throttle body, not sure what it is so I will probably throw a LS TB i have laying around or a y8 TB i got. As far as ecu I will run a stepdown with a p28.

If anyone is familiar with these weird motors or swapped one of them in a ek and can give me any type of warning of anything will be greatly appreaciated. Also as far as water pump , tensioner, timing belt, and spark plugs, which US motors do I buy from and will fit this jdm dualvtec one? I kno the d15z1 came dualvtec in the states but was a completely diffferent motor then this one so im not sure. Any insight??? thanks guys!

·
Banned
eh hatch
598 Posts
the weird sensor on the tb is the 3.wire iacv
your y7 uses it...you would see it on the y7 intake manifold
so theoretically you could use the y7 harness and y7 ecu.
you CANNOT just put another throttlebody on there...NO IACV on back of manifold.
you would have to tap the manifold for the 2.wire iacv.
you can use the y8 intake manifold...but then you need another ecu.
your biggest problem is figuring out what computer to use.
and how you want to activate vtec.
i've run my 3.stage a couple different ways.
i've used chipped ecu and put the 2nd wild lobe vtec (red wire) on a switch.
you can also buy an rpm activated switch for one or both vtec solenoids.
the 3.stage has the tallest cam of all d.series when the wild lobe is activated.
thats how it made 130 pferdestarke like the d16z6

i've only seen one oem p2j ecu ever offered up for sale...
it was on ebay and he wanted like $160-$200 for it

·
Registered
133 Posts
Do what i did, im running a hybrid system, using an apexi VAFC controller and P2P ecu. PM me for more details, i have a fully functional and CEL free 3-stage VTEC operation (JDM D15b)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UzlWZ4_j-jY <- demonstrational video.

·
Banned
eh hatch
598 Posts
tbelt is the 92-95 d15z1 civic vx belt
water pump is any z6/y8/y5 pump
spark plugs ... zfr11's i'd be willing to put money on.
i believe it uses a y8/y5 t.belt tensioner
i'm still in the middle of my build but i've had the motor since '04

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok thanks!!!! I just want to replace them before I swap the motor

next is, will the y8 intake manifold fit on this head ok? and i would need the y8 intake mani gasket right??

thanks guys!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tbelt is the 92-95 d15z1 civic vx belt
water pump is any z6/y8/y5 pump
spark plugs ... zfr11's i'd be willing to put money on.
i believe it uses a y8/y5 t.belt tensioner
i'm still in the middle of my build but i've had the motor since '04
arent the z6 and y8 water pumps different?? cuz they have different part numbers at autozone...

·
Registered
2 Posts
What is a good price for the 3 stage vtec motor? I have found it for 800 shipped, but thats about the only time I found it at all...?

·
Registered
1 Posts
d15b motor

I am very interested in this motor too. Has anyone ever bought an engine from makato engine importers in gardena california. They sell engines on ebay

1 - 11 of 11 Posts