Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, this is my first post. I bought an ef hatch back in January. I bought it because i love these cars and wanted a fuel efficient and simple motored zippy daily driver. My question is how can i get more zip? I was thinking about finding a d16 non-vtec si motor and trans and maybe some bolt-ons. What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
998 Posts
I always had a soft spot for the D16A6 with Si trans (Basically find an EF SI and swap it all over)
Decent little engine and trans combo.
Fuel economy can be in the high 30's mpg if driven correctly.
If you beat it you might drop in the high 20's mpg.
Plenty of fun to be had with the stock setup your not going to win many if any red light drag races but you will still be able to pass them when they stop for fuel.

As for bolt on's it would depend on end goals and budget.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always had a soft spot for the D16A6 with Si trans (Basically find an EF SI and swap it all over)
Decent little engine and trans combo.
Fuel economy can be in the high 30's mpg if driven correctly.
If you beat it you might drop in the high 20's mpg.
Plenty of fun to be had with the stock
setup your not going to win many if any red light drag races but you will still be able to pass them when they stop for fuel.

As for bolt on's it would depend on end goals and budget.
Well the endgame is to be able to zip through traffic and and fun on curvy back roads. I live in the country so the drive can get a little boring you know. I won't be doing any drag racing. I haven't had a traffic ticket in over 10 years and I'd like to keep it that way, lol. As far as budget for bolt-ons, maybe about a grand or so

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
are doing your own work ?

pgmfi small turbo 5psi methanol injection. but only if you are crafty as fuck...
Yeah im trying to do most of the work myself. Im was gonna upgrade the fuel injection to multi-point but anything over that is over my skill level. Plus im trying to keep it simple and mostly stock

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,308 Posts
just like any other engine build

intake
header
exhaust
mill the head

if you want to start down the rabbit hole:
higher comp pistons
ignition tuning
boost (turbo, supercharger, nitrous)

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
998 Posts
Reactions: slo_eg8

·
Registered
Integra DB9
445 Posts
If you could live with it as a daily driver, shed some weight.
It'll still leave you with a grand.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Says he got a grand or so to spend on the car and you give him a link to a $2k exhaust

Yeah that's probably a little flashier than what im looking for here. It looked pretty sweet though.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,748 Posts
D15Beast7 from 20 years ago. A proven combo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
F all the bs. Get an eBay turbo, do the multipoint injection conversion. 8psi d16 intake manifold. JBtuned e85 conversion. Why waste money on NA engines

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
998 Posts
I already took out the AC compressor and lines. Not sure where else to shed weight. Its manual everything, lol.
Carpet, interior panels, headliner, extra seats, remove gas tank and replace with a 3 gallon fuel cell, lightweight battery or no battery, remove glass, back half the car and put casters behind the front seat, use helium in the tires, only run 2qts of oil, grease in the trans no fluid, fill the block only with antifreeze and loop the system no radiator, cut out any and everything that looks like a structural support, cut "speed" holes out all over the body, remove body panels, if there's a will there's a way just depends on how far you want to take it on weight reduction.

:rl:

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,308 Posts

Reactions: Sailor

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
998 Posts
^ Exactly

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
2,007 Posts
for some reason that swiss cheese body looks like it would create more wind drag than anything with all those holes..as light as it would be ..better off just taking all the doors hood and shit and replace with heavy duty saran wrap.

·
Registered
Integra DB9
445 Posts
Not quite as elegant as the cheese car, but no heavier:

And not saran wrap, but the next best thing?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.