Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 pilot
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok before you going saying....why the **** would you do that? i have my reasons....rod ratio has alot to do with it....

i know that the rod ratio in the b16a is 1.73....

i was tring to get a single cam close to that....

so i figired get the A6 block and throw a d15 crank in it with a y8 head and
yaaaaaaaaaamoooooooooo.....rod ratio of 1.62.....not quite a rod ratio of a b16 but very damn close...

so im putting it all together the way i thought about it in my head and i run into a problem....the d15 crank is smaller than the d16 crank.....shiiiit.....the diameter of the where the mains go is smaller...so when i put the mains in it stays free wheeling in there.....

i was using a dx crank.....d15b7

do you guys know of a crank that will fit??

i was thinking of getting the crank welded?

again, getting thicker main bearings could do it to but that would not be very strong.....

any suggestions????

K

·
0 Posts
1.62 is the same as the K20

The D15 has big end rod journals that are 45mm in diameter, the D16's are 48mm.

If you used a destroked D16 crank by 6mm (grind each journal offset by 3mm), you can use D15 rods, and destroke the D16 with the least work. If you need more, or want D16 rods, you can weld up the journals, then grind them down to the desired stroke.

By you, I mean a well equipped and experienced machine shop. This is a known practice on domestic V8 engines.

·
Registered
2011 pilot
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^^^thats exactly what i was thinking of doing...i mean the welding the crank journal thang....thanks for the help guys....

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Just get 27mm compression height pistons in your D15(P08 pistons maybe), youll be able to use D16 rods.

Also, yes the D15B VTEC and D15Z1 have 1.62 rod ratio.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
krustindumm said:
1.62 is the same as the K20

The D15 has big end rod journals that are 45mm in diameter, the D16's are 48mm.

If you used a destroked D16 crank by 6mm (grind each journal offset by 3mm), you can use D15 rods, and destroke the D16 with the least work. If you need more, or want D16 rods, you can weld up the journals, then grind them down to the desired stroke.

By you, I mean a well equipped and experienced machine shop. This is a known practice on domestic V8 engines.
try cutting your numbers in half, 1.5mm offset, 3mm stroke reduction.

K

·
0 Posts
transzex said:
try cutting your numbers in half, 1.5mm offset, 3mm stroke reduction.
whoops, I was in a hurry and forgot to think. Yeah, reducing the diameter of each journal by 3mm would only move the center 1.5 mm. Doh!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
thanks for not making me exlpain that.............

But I'm planning on 1.25 mm offset on each journal, that give the machinist a little to play with. With the current combo sticking .052 above deck, the 1.25mm (.049") will be perfect.

Compression will be within streetable range, about 12.5:1 or so as a quik guess.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts