Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

let me first introduce my self. My name is Fabian, i am from south florida and im here for a lot of info and help. I own a small online store that i started a couple of months ago, and I bought a D15 motor as a project for the company. I know a lot of things about cars, ive build my own fully build 450whp cobalt ss and had a lot of fun with it, but now that im coming into the honda world, i just dont feel that i know enough about it...

My ultimate goal is to have a 400rwhp rwd single cam crx. Yes i know a lot of people might be thinking that its stupid and pointless and blah blah blah... Im planing on doing it for its uniqueness...

I my self dont have the right tools nor the experience on fab work, but my company has partner up with a very good fab guy. Hes done from 1jzgte swaps on IS300 and 240sx, to f20 motor with a nascar rear end on a AE86... so yes i do trust the guy with fab work.

Now that you know a little about me, here are my future mod list and some questions:

D15 motor
build bottom end (with high end products that cant seem to find for this motor)
port/polish VTEC head with cam, springs, retainers, valves
fuel pump
fuel regulator
750cc injectors
custom intake manifold
fuel rail
Fuel cell
75 wet shot of nitrous (most likely zex with a window switch)
GT3071R turbo
custom turbo manifold
3' full exhaust
aluminum intercooler piping
treadstone performance TR12 intercooler
Oil/tranny/diff cooler

thats the breakdown for the motor. now my questions are:

What should i expect from the d15 block? will it hold the power?

WHERE IN THE HELL CAN I FIND PARTS FOR THIS MOTOR!!?!?!? i cant seem to find good quality parts for the D15 motor...

what recommendations do you make?

thanks guys!

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
If its a D15B OBD-1 Vtec engine you won't find bottom end parts for this engine.

Just get a D16 bottom end and rebuild it for boost. Much easier to find parts for when something goes wrong in the long run. The D15 head is a Z6 head so there won't be any need for a new one.

Theres shitloads of threads on this site with big boost builds for references.
Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
192 Posts
First question I'd have to ask you is how is the engine going to sit in the car? Transversely or longitudinally? (stock or sideways like a traditional RWD set up)

This is crucial as it will dictate the extent of fabrication necessary to make this work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it will sit as a traditional rwd set up... ive seen a lot of crx converted to rwd... there is a lot of fab work due to the fact of creating a tranny tunel and driveshaft tunel as well... there will b a lot of questions coming along to this forum lol

T-Mack thanks for ur input! i will b looking for d16 bottom ends!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Then here's the real issue. Old Honda engines spin the opposite direction of pretty much all other engines. So how are you going to resolve that? Is there a tranny that will work? Because if you go with say an F20C transmission or any of the AZ6 transmissions you will end up with 5 reverse gears and 1 forward gear.

I've been contemplating this same setup (different car though) for a while and have an idea of what could be done to make it work, but really the cost is pretty much eliminating this option for me.

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
You won't get the best weight distribution, but mounting the engine/trans in the rear cargo area is not only the easiest solution, its also been done...more than once!

As for your D15, one of our vendors has been taking pre-orders on a new product for the USDM D15B2/7/8. Custom length rods. Something that has been in the works for a few years now. Tests have been done and ready for production. If you do not want to wait then crower is an alternative albeit, an expensive one.

We really don't know the limits of the usdm D15 blocks (as rods are just now being released) but having very similar piston wall thickness and material with a better rod/stroke ratio, we can only guess they will measure up to the D16 blocks. D16's have been pushed to well over the 400whp mark reliably on STOCK sleeves. The major factor is tuning.

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
Here is a rear wheel drive CRX using a dohc. Engine and trans mounted in the rear. Minimal fabrication. This is called the K.I.S.S. solution (keep it simple stupid)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^ thats a nice set-up and looks like way less fab work than putting it on the front... that looks good and simple... problem i see with that is air... going on boost on a rear engine set-up... i dont think that much air can flow thru... intercooler pipping will b looooong and will have more lag due to more air travel...

is there more info on that set-up?

·
Registered
del sol
158 Posts
Then here's the real issue. Old Honda engines spin the opposite direction of pretty much all other engines. So how are you going to resolve that? Is there a tranny that will work? Because if you go with say an F20C transmission or any of the AZ6 transmissions you will end up with 5 reverse gears and 1 forward gear.

I've been contemplating this same setup (different car though) for a while and have an idea of what could be done to make it work, but really the cost is pretty much eliminating this option for me.
you seem to know your shit +1

·
Registered
honda civic ej2
29 Posts
I would also go with mid engine or rear engine setup to keep it simple there is a manga called King that the protaganist races a 1st gen crx with a mid engine subaru motor. anyways good luck and whatever u decide to do keep us updated please.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oohh i will keep u guys posted... i will have a new thread once i buy the d16 and i buy some parts...

i have to talk to my fab guy to see what he recomends me... i like the idea of a rear mounted motor, but im just trying to figure out how can i get more air to the intercooler back there... i wouldnt want to run a long pipes to have a front mount... so i have to figure that out...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wiseco Pistons Eagle Rods D16Z6 D16Y7 SOHC 8.5:1 75.5mm
ARP 208-4305 Head stud kit Civic 1996-2000 D16Y7 D16Y8
Cometic Head Gasket Acura/Honda Civic/CRX D16 D15 79mm
Supertech Valvesprings
Ti Retainers
Ferrea 6000 Series Valves Honda D16 D16Z6 SOHC CIVIC EG
SKUNK2 Cam Gear Pro 88-91 Honda CRX I4 SOHC D14/D15/D16
COMP ZEX HONDA D16Z6 PRO RACE HIGH RPM CAM CAMSHAFT
Walbro fuel pump
AEM Fuel regulator
AEM Billet Aluminum Fuel Rail Civic SOHC D16A6 D16Z6
RC ENGINEERING 750CC FUEL INJECTORS HONDA CIVIC D15 D16
ZEX WET NITROUS KIT

thats the parts list that ive gathered so far... any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
Just do what boosted mr2 owners do. Intercooler under rear bumper cooled by fans.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
thanks bro!

i did some homework and found the vitara pistons are sick! lol... i got the vitara pistons with custom forged rods... as soon as i get them in my house i will cryo treat them to make them a little stronger.. they are rated and tested to make over 500whp... i will also cryo treat the crankshaft... bottom end is basically done lol...

now i need to worry about the head... as soon as i get my parts in i will make a build thread about my single jingle :p

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
d-cranks (d15 and d16 to my knowledge) are forged from the factory
many high performance builds in the range of 500hp all the way to 790ish hp hold up

the crank is good to go in that respect

1 - 19 of 19 Posts