Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello dudes,
So basically im planning to turbo my D14Z1 IMG_20200403_163558_MP.jpg . What do i need for this apart from the actual turbo kit? Do I need a different ecu and if so, any recommendations?
Also I cant seem to find any aftermarket components to build the D14Z block/head
Any idea of brands that manufacture good quality aftermarket internals?

Would appreciate if people who have had some experience with turboing a d14z1 could help since I am not very familiar with honda ecus and how much the block could handle
?
Engine is fully stock right now.Will leave a pic below so y'all could have a good view of the engine bay and see if it is even possible to fit it comfortably

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,403 Posts
exactly how much effort have you put into searching and reading and learning?

I bet you my left nutt, "what do I need to turbo" has been asked more than 50 times in the last 5 years alone....stop being lazy and put forth some effort.

wish I could ban noobs that ask these stupid ass questions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Believe it or not I have done a lot of research about the D14 turbo builds but not of them are the z1 and z2 version. Only saw 1 or 2 but havent found any way to contact them .

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
622 Posts
What do i need for this apart from the actual turbo kit?
Believe it or not I have done a lot of research
Have you though?

Don't be put off if you cant find your exact motor, it looks like you need pretty general info at the moment which you can get from any turbo build on this forum.

Have a look at other peoples parts lists, search what each part is and understand it's purpose. If you have any questions, post here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I made some research(like I should have done before) and a good place to start for this turbo build is probably to modify the factory ecu with either an hondata s300 or a greddy emanage. Both ecu add-ons seem to have a very good software, and installing them shouldn't be that hard, just a couple desoldering and resoldering new chips back in. Is there maybe some defects that I have overlooked?

Also did some research on turbochargers(still a noob), and my aim for now is 150-200hp assuming the stock internals will handle it( still need to research more on that)
So, regarding turbo choice I am stuck between T2,T3 and a T25 :/ A T4 is too much for my application I would say as the exhaust housing is way to big and would take longer time to spool.
What are your thoughts on this? If I said some incorrect information, let me know, id like to learn more

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,403 Posts
attaboy!

"Turbos are often referred to by "T" numbers that are really a "class type" . These numbers were originally created by Garrett, the largest turbo manufacturer in the world. You have probably heard people talking about T3 and T4 turbos in their car. The “T3” number is a general CFM classification. The T number also specifies a compatible exhaust flange type which the turbo will bolt onto. It’s important to understand there are many different types of T3 turbos with different air outputs which are rated for different horsepower applications. So when somebody says they have a T3, they are actually saying what class of turbo they have, and the flange type. Generally speaking T3 class turbos can deliver enough air volume for applications in the 200 to 300HP range"--.http://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/turbo_basics.htm

you could run a t3 flanged turbo, it all depends on what header youre using.

for the turbo, you should be fine with a stock t28 from an sr20 or 16g from a gsx

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So I did some more digging and was wondering if all d- series exhaust headers are the same, from what i have seen they all look the same in my eyes. Anyone know if they're all the same? Ill link a pic below of my headers also.

Also, the car being from japan it has a square shaped ecu unlike the US one which is rectangular.I found some part numbers on the ECU box but I have no idea if they are compatible with the Hondata S300. The car has an OBD 2 port aswell I think which surprised me as I thought they only came in OBD 1 at the time. And will this affect the installation of the Hondata s300? Will also link some pictures down below aswell for this.

EDIT: So more progression ? I have just realised that I have an OBDllB ECU, how would I go about to tune that? Also why are people doing OBD1 conversions...isnt a more modern ECU supposed to be better?

About the headers, now im 99% sure that they are all the same

Attachments

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
622 Posts

Get an OBD1 ECU. You can run the square type ECUs without problem though (i am). You'll need to search how to convert OBD2B to OBD1, or maybe someone else can chime in.

There's lots of D series headers, if you're looking for a turbo manifold though, just make sure it's not for a DOHC motor (not the end of the world, just the ports are positioned slightly different relative to the studs) and consider their compatibility with your AC/PS if you're keeping them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Get an OBD1 ECU. You can run the square type ECUs without problem though (i am). You'll need to search how to convert OBD2B to OBD1, or maybe someone else can chime in.

There's lots of D series headers, if you're looking for a turbo manifold though, just make sure it's not for a DOHC motor (not the end of the world, just the ports are positioned slightly different relative to the studs) and consider their compatibility with your AC/PS if you're keeping them.
Tks for the information my dude!!!.
So just as you said the best way would be to convert the car to an OBD1 ECU. Found a bunch of people who sell jumper harnesses for obd2b to obd1 ecu conversion. A lot of people seem to be using them and they should be plug and play..apart from the tachometer which doesnt work after the conversion(from what i read on other posts). Gonna post a pic of the harness..I think this should do the trick for the ECU side of things.
Sidenote: Do you think buying an OBD1 ECU for 50euro( around 60 dollars) is a good deal? Obviously its second hand but I was wondering if I should start trying to negotiate with this guy and try buy it.The ECU was also on a D14 Honda so I assume that the car will run fine on it while its still NA.
Obviously then Id have to buy a Hondata S300 which then will open me up to tuning the car with a turbo.

I bought the headers a few hours ago but they seem to be correct, and for the cheap price im paying they seem to be of decent quality..will link a pic of the headers i bought aswell

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What ECU is it? There's more to selecting an ECU than just the correct OBD. Some ECU's allow you to have more or less functionality in Hondata. Have a look on their website and check the forums to check out what other people are using.
Its a P08 JDM ECU which is good since my car is JDM and it would fit with a jumper harness im guessing

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am running into another issue :( The throttle body on my car is vertical as opposed to all the other Honda D series I have seen and cannot seem to find any intercooler kits that adapt to this, though a quick fix would be to buy a 90 degree bend and just use that instead of the straight coupler, does that make sense?

I mentioned this in the post above aswell: What is easier to chip OBD1 or OBD2? If the OBD2 is cheaper to chip so it could be tuned I am willing to go that route since it would save me money towards buying a good quality waste gate which is probably the most important part in the entire build to be honest. Any thoughts about this?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts