Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
AW11 MR2
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

First time poster, long time browser of the forums! I am attempting to build a mini-me D15 with carburettors. Ideally I would like D13 pistons in order to bump the compression of my build, however i have an '89 EF Civic for scrap that has a D14a1 lump in it that i would like to utilise if possible. My question is how much difference is there (in terms of diameter/height/dome/etc) between the D14 and D13 pistons? As i have never seen a D13 piston. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Most people here aren't going to be able to help you. Rushi may be able to, but, he ignores this site mostly. [email protected] may also be able to help you, or some of the other guys from Europe or Indonesia.

·
Registered
AW11 MR2
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Beaver, Information on the european motors seems to be a little thin on the ground :( If I can't get any solid data i'll probably just go D13's to be on the safe-side

·
Registered
AW11 MR2
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Beaver, Yeah no doubt I'll end up dismantling the a1 in which case I'll get a hold of some pic's and dimensions (maybe even that elusive piston code?). Neman, I've seen that project before, looks great but I wanted higher compression without spending a lot of money ideally. Also I intend to utilize 4 motorbike carbs for this one - dependent on how far my limited funds and knowledge allow me.

·
Registered
ed7
399 Posts
You have all calculations there, but the dome on pistons isn't that big...

They look huge but if you compere them to p29 they suck(if you want yo go high)...

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Dome isn't the whole picture. Some of the smaller D pistons have a 30mm compression height, which is way more desirable than a PM7 29mm compression height. This keeps the SCR almost the same as the PM7/P29 pistons, but yields better combustion and easier/safer tuning.

·
Registered
AW11 MR2
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The calculations are based on the standard 14a1 pistons - my understanding is the d13's have a higher dome, i'm not certain how much this is hence the point of this thread. Also I'm using a d15b block which is taller than the d14 so the calculations won't add up for me, good reference though!

·
Registered
AW11 MR2
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dragged the pistons out the old D14a1 block today (was a right bitch). Turns out the pistons are PM2 - This means little to me, but hopefully this might be of use to you Beaver? I've enclosed a couple of pictures, but i won't pretend I know what measurements you're after so just give me a shout if you want some measurments done - I would be happy to do them for you.

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac171/mcchase/D-Series/IMAGE_070.jpg

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac171/mcchase/D-Series/IMAGE_067.jpg

·
Registered
AW11 MR2
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm using a complete D15Z6 bottom end and the PM2 pistons with a Z6 head. I haven't checked the wristpins yet - I'll just prey they fit

·
Registered
AW11 MR2
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Crap. I'll have to bore them on a lathe when i get back to university. Are you sure of this? Have you seen the PM2 pistons before?

·
Registered
AW11 MR2
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok hi-comp, thanks for the prior warning. It looks like some machining will have to be done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts