Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here are the pics for now. I only removed the engine because i am making a wire tuck, and engine bay repaint. Since I also was changing the water pump, and I suppose chek the rod and main bearings also in the future, I figured why not remove a piston a have a look at it now?

I'll try to find what my options are and then figure out what to do, but those tooth pick roods really scare me.

greetings to every one.

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
lol yeah i'd be a little worried if you spin that motor high in the rpm's. But should make for a fun little build.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've spinend it a lot and no problems with it. It has less stroke, so it gives a good R/S ratio. Sometimes it went way out of the rpm band in 1st gear because of my clumsy driving habilities, and changing gear too late. Since the D14 doesn't have EFI it doesn't cut at any rpm, an it went right above the last digit on the tacho for several times.

lol it was scary because it loses all the strenght and the car sudently feels like in neutral and vibrates a lot.

Edit: I drive a lot better now! lololol ;)

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
what does the tach go to? 8k ?? I'd convert to obd-1 and comense the tuning! hahaha

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
what does the tach go to? 8k ?? I'd convert to obd-1 and comense the tuning! hahaha
Yes 8k is the last mark. I don't know what i'm going to do yeat, but I would like to go 76mm just to get some little extra displacement.

Also I've run the zeal calculator and it says with the new pistons it should have a 0.059 piston to deck clearance, but something isn't right. I've compared both pistons and appart from the dome and rings location they have the same height (maybe 0.5mm difference has my mesuring method was side by side placement with the wrist pin, but I think I could see 0.5 mm at close sight for sure).

The piston to deck clearence on my engine is almost 0, at most 0,5mm. In this case 0.5 from the clearence + 0.5 from the piston the result should be 0.036. So either my block has been previosly "milled" (decked?) or D14a1 rods are 138mm witch is all very strange, because there is no way my pistons are 30mm compression heigth.

Using the calculator also I got 10.36 CR with the new 76mm pistons a z6 head, z6 gasket, and that strange 0.059 clearance. Reducing 1mm from the block to get the clearence according to my engine I get 11.5 CR.
I think this number should be right in the spot. This engine doesn't pull that strong and I'm trying to squeese something out of it.

edit: later this week I'll assemble one P29 I have arround in the engine, and find out this strange piston to deck clearence mistery

1 - 5 of 5 Posts