Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.... I was just wondering what the limits of the factory ignition are? I have a Distributor King Dizzy on my y8 and NGK plugs and wires...... I am currently making 309whp..... and I was just making sure if I hit 350-375whp this next spring, will my factory setup suffice?.... or will I have to upgrade to a MSD ingition?

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
Stay stock trust me you'll be fine, OEM can handle 400+easily

MSD is useless engine bling junk.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
OEM will handle plenty of what you want to make!! the other stuff will just add complications.

·
Premium Member
The Wife and the Car
2,053 Posts
I had started a thread a while back on various components in the engine and how long they would hold up.
Maybe you could have added Ignition to that list.

I dont know anything about MSD.
But I do know a thing or two about Ignitions.

Correct me if Im wrong. But the stock Honda Ign is a TCI right ?
And most performance Ignitions are CDI right ?

All I can say is that CDI is anyday the way to go.
Replacing a TCI ignition with another TCI based Ignition is a waste of time.

But replacing a TCI ignition with a CDI one now thats something Id give a testicle to do on my honda. There is no comparing the two. CDI will kick TCI butt all day any day.
If a guy is making 600 with TCI he would make more with a CDI thats all I can say.

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
I had started a thread a while back on various components in the engine and how long they would hold up.

But replacing a TCI ignition with a CDI one now thats something Id give a testicle to do on my honda. There is no comparing the two. CDI will kick TCI butt all day any day.
If a guy is making 600 with TCI he would make more with a CDI thats all I can say.
Our Honda ECU doesn't support coilpack ignitions, so don't think anyone goes for it. A megasquirt would do it but for the relatively safe powerlevels (~400hp) that everyone wishes to go to, the stock ignition works well.

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts

Have fun handing over one of your testicles then?

Honda does a good job out of the factory with there ignition systems, im pretty sure they know more then you.

·
Registered
civic
451 Posts
msd/crain & any other after market ign. set up isnt worth the trouble, if something goes wrong just more shit to trouble shoot, stock is fine....

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Oem ignition if it's in good condition will work fine for whatever hp you make..If it's not in good condition an aftermarket digital ignition box will work, and will be cheaper then a new oem distributor which last I checked was around 400+.Another fix may be buying a new oem ignitior and coil since that's less then 200 for both from most dealerships

Everyone always says oem this oem that but,when your dealing with (in my case) 18 year old parts it can be a crap shoot or just luck of the draw.Buying parts store rebuilt distributors can also be a crap shoot. I'm on my 2nd autozone distributor in 3 years of use.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Oem ignition if it's in good condition will work fine for whatever hp you make..If it's not in good condition an aftermarket digital ignition box will work, and will be cheaper then a new oem distributor which last I checked was around 400+.Another fix may be buying a new oem ignitior and coil since that's less then 200 for both from most dealerships

Everyone always says oem this oem that but,when your dealing with (in my case) 18 year old parts it can be a crap shoot or just luck of the draw.Buying parts store rebuilt distributors can also be a crap shoot. I'm on my 2nd autozone distributor in 3 years of use.
Werd, just because people have good luck with it doesn't mean the next person will. I made a thread about it a few months back. A lot of people said OEM here and there but I did everything I can with OEM. I just hate to be back the dyno and have the same ignition issue crossing fingers that another OEM dizzy will do it.

http://www.d-series.org/forums/forced-induction/132813-ignition-system-upgrade.html

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts

autozone blows hard dude i wouldnt even think about buying one of those. my friend just went through three of those in a month period because they kept going out of clearance on the CYP pickup and throwing codes.

I bought one distributor king back in 2008 had it for 2 years boosted on it went crazy on it never had an issue.

·
Registered
911 Posts
MSD is multiple spark discharge which means that it fires multiple times right up to around a certain RPM. It depends on which box you get. But if you get the dizzy without using their CD ignition box you wont get the multiple spark feature. And actually their early systems are a blatant copy of the Ford Duraspark system.

·
Premium Member
The Wife and the Car
2,053 Posts
I know MSD makes at least one decent Ignition. Cause I saw the circuit floating around.

If you want to have a serious discussion on why CDI rules TCI butt start a thread anytime.

The megasquirt would be pointless. Because Ive built a few of those. And they are TCI based too. The only advantage they offer you is coil on plug and wasted spark removal.
In case you didnt know Ignitions evolved so Points / tci / CDI.
Companies use TCI because its a cheap arsed solution. You can build a complete ignition with one TCI chip.
TCI is just one step up from points.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts