Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forums.

Sorry if this is a duplicate post, if so, please link me to where I need to be and get rid of this one.

Anyway, I have recently bought my first Civic. It's a '97 EX with 202k on the chassis and motor. Just one simple question.

What are some things that I should know about the D series that you think that somebody new on the scene should know?

I'm semi-mechanically inclined and can try to follow you. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
650 Posts
umm... Where to begin...?

Just start reading all over the forum.

If you want to keep it stock, then just drive it, and keep up with your regular maintenance. If you want to modify it, then figure out what you want to do, research it, re-figure out what you want to do, and research it some more.

Then, do it.

·
Registered
93 eg coupe
418 Posts
Turbo !!!! Boost !!!! And def turbo ....oh wait I said that ...

First would be maintenance; compression and cylinder leakdown test ....google it
Have fun with the Honda

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha!
I plan on keeping it mostly stock with a few bolt-ons, etc. Nothing major. It's my back and forth to work vehicle. I'm just mainly wondering about any strange quirks with it or things I should be worried about and keep my eye on. They all seem like solid builds

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yeah, they're pretty solid. With that high of mileage, though, keep a close eye on any old looking/worn belts and hoses (coolant and vacuum). Keep the oil changed and use quality oil with a quality filter (wix, k&n, etc...), change the fuel filter regularly, use NGK plugs (not the platinum or iridium, just regular or v-power)...

There's a lot of info all over, on this site and others. Get a copy of the factory service manual, and enjoy the hell out of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome.
I'm currently working on the AC system right now. Just changed plugs, oil, and valve cover/plug seals. I found a nice little surprise when unbolting the cover, but that's on another thread I started.

Basically, the car is bone stock and (from what I've been told) has had a fairly easy life as a highway college commuter car.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Hey guys, new to the forums.

Sorry if this is a duplicate post, if so, please link me to where I need to be and get rid of this one.

Anyway, I have recently bought my first Civic. It's a '97 EX with 202k on the chassis and motor. Just one simple question.

What are some things that I should know about the D series that you think that somebody new on the scene should know?

I'm semi-mechanically inclined and can try to follow you. Thanks guys!
DO NOT RUN LOW ON OIL!!!! 90% of D failures are inadequate lubrication.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts