Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 ej8
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a y8 head that im trying to put on an a6 block. Here are some of my questions. Do i need to do anything special to mount said y8 head on a6 block? Will y8 rods and p29 pistons work on the a6 block? If i get oversized .20 over pistons will the performance be any greater than standard size p29s?Should i just keep the original pm7s in the a6 block? I also have eagle rods from my old y8 block can i use those with pm7/p29 pistons? If not what piston combo is good for the a6 block? Sorry for all the questions but if somebody could help me out i'd much appreciate it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi im kaiyo and i was trying to do a d17a1 mini with a d16z6 head and i was wondering if u know any thing about it?

·
Registered
93 integra ls b18c
2,633 Posts
wow, humm okay you all need to search.

but here is the hint

p29s=junk
if you have forged rods get some turbo or na forged pistons
no performance increase
y8 head on a6/z6 block requires different headstuds, if your going to run studs

kaiyo

best bet is take the rotating assembly out of the d17 block and put in a d16 block, search around this has been answered to

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
SOHCEj8, READ HERE P29's are discussed in fair detail. I wouldn't personally run them, everything I've heard about them say's they'll run like turd...

1) For VTEC to work you'll have to pull the oil restrictor out of the A6 deck.
2) Y8 Rods and P29 piston's will work but Y8 rods aren't any better than A6's. And again I wouldn't bother with P29's.
3) You should never bore a motor over in order to pick up HP. Having increased the displacement by that much will make no noticable difference in performance. What will make a difference is the fact that you now have a straight cylinder that will allow for a good ring seat.
4) If you want to up the comp ratio, deck the block, deck the head, and run a Y8 HG.
5) I don't know about the Eagle rods working. They're used all the time with Vitara builds but Vitara's run floating wrist pins so I don't know if the Eagle's are setup for aftermarket pistons or not. Lastly since you're going for a NA build (I'm assuming because you havn't really said), Eagle's aren't needed.
6) If you're looking to bump up the compression ration via piston call Crower!
7) SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH most of this stuff can be answered by searching!!!!!!!

Kaiyo:

Get your own thread to ask silly questions about putting a D16Z6 head on a D17 block, or better yet SEARCH I know I've answered that question before. I'm sure I could do it again if I did a google search for "D16Z6 head D17 block"...

But much like others I'm feeling to lazy to post that.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
i got arp head studs will those work?
AGAIN SEARCH!!!

All but one stud will work. The Y8 head is is slightly different in the corner that's on the back pass side of the block. Thus it requires a shorter ARP stud.

·
Registered
93 integra ls b18c
2,633 Posts
pm7/p29 pistons are the same pistons

·
Registered
96 ej8
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was going to use the eagle rods just because i had them in my y8 block that needs another crank and oil pump. I traded a set of used wiseco 8.5-1 pistons for the entire block. Can the head stud that own't fit be modified to fit the build? I'm sorry for all the questions and i did search, its just that I need this thing running pretty soon and i searched for a bit but didn't get any clean answers which is why i decided to register and ask here because most of the posters seem like experts on subjects such as this.

·
Registered
93 integra ls b18c
2,633 Posts
so what you have is a d16a6 short block with pm7/p29 pistons and a y8 head. if you need it running like yesterday. i would bandaid it with a thicker headgsket to bump the compression down. if you have time to wait you need to tell use na or turbo so we can give more input

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
Making that head stud "fit" would mean cutting it, which involves friction, friction yeilds heat, heating a metal that's under that much of a tension load is a bad idea.

Call up FJ distributors and he may be able to hook you up with that one stud.

·
Registered
96 ej8
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so what you have is a d16a6 short block with pm7/p29 pistons and a y8 head. if you need it running like yesterday. i would bandaid it with a thicker headgsket to bump the compression down. if you have time to wait you need to tell use na or turbo so we can give more input
I need it running in under 2 weeks, i was going to send the block to get the crank micropolished buy new bearings maybe deck the block and that stuff. I got confused with the pistons but its running stock a6 pistons im not sure of the piston code. And yes i am running a na build. I appreciate your time in posting to help me out thank you.

·
Registered
93 integra ls b18c
2,633 Posts
so it has pm6 pistons in it? it would have a dish then not a dome. what was wrong with the block that requires a rebuild

·
Registered
96 ej8
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my old y8 block needs another crank and oil pump. I also thought about putting the a6 crank inside my y8 block with the a6 oil pump but was told that wouldn't work. How good are the pm6 pistons? and if it the a6 crank n oil pump work in the y8 how strong of a build would it be?

·
Registered
93 integra ls b18c
2,633 Posts
your better of just running the a6 block and crank, that is what i was refereeing to when i said why does it need rebuilt.

·
Registered
96 ej8
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
would the a6 crank and oil pump work in the y8 block? Im not that smart when it comes to these things but it seems like something easier to do since i can use my arp studs on the y8 block

·
Registered
93 integra ls b18c
2,633 Posts
you would have to do something about the dip stick, from what i know everything else should bolt up. honestly better of selling the arps you have and buying the set you need to run a a6/y8 combo

·
Registered
96 ej8
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what would i need to do about the dipstick? Thank you i appreciate all your help this will be the last question i promise!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts