Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there are many people on this forum converting to E85 for perofrmance purposes? From what Ive seen there are great gains to be had and fat tq. curves from tuning on it. Anyone doing this people chime in.

-KC

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
i've yet to hear of anyone doing that yet. they're has been talk, but no one fabbing there own kit for it. too bad it eats up rubber.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Somones working on 1 right now, just drawing a blank on the name. Look for a thread with "cornfed" in the title.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
all i know is that you can run leaner w/ e85 (i believe it ends up being 100+ octane), and you don't get as good of mpg... Local guy has his DSM running on e85...

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
all i know is that you can run leaner w/ e85 (i believe it ends up being 100+ octane), and you don't get as good of mpg... Local guy has his DSM running on e85...
ehh....

you actually have to run MORE E85 to make the same power as you would regular 92. so if you are doing it to save money, i dont think the savings are there

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
what's the price dollar diff between unleaded and e-85? we don't even have e-85 here yet. but we have flex fuel cars. kinda stupid huh?

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
You don't run E-85 and Hybrid Vehicles to save money, you do it to conserve
a lot of people do it because of the fact that when Ethanol fuels came out, they were a lot cheaper than regular fuel. not everyone gives a shit about conserving...

and who said anything about a hybrid vehicle?

·
My sig is longer than yours
2,163 Posts
Somones working on 1 right now, just drawing a blank on the name. Look for a thread with "cornfed" in the title.
that would be me (check out the engine rebuild link in my sig)

i never got around to doing it though, because while i got the bottom end of my motor build (PDN pistons/LS rods/A6 block) i ran out of time to get my head built (y8 with crower 3) which would put me at almost 13:1 compression. The reason i was going to run e85 was to be able to daily drive that car. sure i wouldnt get as great fuel mileage and shit, but whatever. Being able to daily drive 13:1 without pulling a bunch of timing or being dead on with the tune is worth it IMO.

When i get that head built, it will go on, as will some 310cc injectors (whatdyaknow, abotu 33% larger than the 240cc ones on there now, so i should be good to with my current tune on e85, since you need 33% more fuel to make the same power as regular unleaded..)

so yea, built head and 310cc injectors, and i was gonna run it with that. maybe an upgraded fuel pump but tahts it.

as of 1988 every car sold in the us had to be prepared for 10% ethanol. i choose to believe that any parts that could be affected by that 10% would be upgraded to ethanol safematerials, so that 85% shoudl be no problem. maybe im wrong, only time will tell..

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
i have a buddy that runs it in his 240 and has had nor problems..he got bigger injectors than he was running before, but that's ll...from what i hear/read you can't let it sit for awhile without starting the car because it will eat the rubber hoses/o-rings, but if you drive it every day(and maybe even put 101 or so octane in it sometimes) you should be fine

·
No Tune No Life!
99 Supercharge Regal
2,045 Posts
ok for a great example stephnie eggrum she runs ethonal she has to frist and only 7 sec FWD HONDA. but as a resolt of this ethonal and power she make she has

Eight 1600cc injectors yes 8!!!
she has a cam driving fuel pump just to get that much fuel to the rails so she dont drop pressure befor he 10,800 shift light comes on!
also the motor puts down 1,100 HP and over 700 ft-lb !

http://www.dragsport.com/issue/2007/0107_feat_article.shtml

this is going to blow ur mind have fun i stod 2ft way from this car at the nopi nationals this year is is a great acomplishment for hondas all over!!!

ur welcome!

RC

·
Registered
1995 Honda CIvic LX
1,050 Posts
The only time I use it or any type of fuel with ethanol in it is when it's hot and the humidity is high.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I am gonna give it a try on my new motor, its a 105 motor octane and around here its 2 30 a gallon ALOT cheaper than VP 110

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
but it is still pump gas :)

Crossroads would go apeshit.......

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
that would be me (check out the engine rebuild link in my sig)

i never got around to doing it though, because while i got the bottom end of my motor build (PDN pistons/LS rods/A6 block) i ran out of time to get my head built (y8 with crower 3) which would put me at almost 13:1 compression. The reason i was going to run e85 was to be able to daily drive that car. sure i wouldnt get as great fuel mileage and shit, but whatever. Being able to daily drive 13:1 without pulling a bunch of timing or being dead on with the tune is worth it IMO.

When i get that head built, it will go on, as will some 310cc injectors (whatdyaknow, abotu 33% larger than the 240cc ones on there now, so i should be good to with my current tune on e85, since you need 33% more fuel to make the same power as regular unleaded..)

so yea, built head and 310cc injectors, and i was gonna run it with that. maybe an upgraded fuel pump but tahts it.

as of 1988 every car sold in the us had to be prepared for 10% ethanol. i choose to believe that any parts that could be affected by that 10% would be upgraded to ethanol safematerials, so that 85% shoudl be no problem. maybe im wrong, only time will tell..
I don't know how much horespower you planning to make, but i have a tuner here that tunes e-85. He told me that the 450cc injectors was only good for 201 whp. That is alot of fuel for just using e-85. I'm not sure how much the 310cc are good for on your build, I'm pretty sure you know what you are doing. I was going to go that route too but the more I think about it, it is probably not worth it. And yes, you are right about using e-85 on a 13:1 compression. E-85 is everywhere in Minnesota. Good luck on the build though.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Stock 240 cc injectors can support 200 whp, E85 uses 30% more fuel for stoich than gasoline. 200/1.3= 150 whp guesstimate at 45 psi. I am going to start with stock injectors then try 370cc injectors if I run out of duty cycle. If I had 310's I would run them that sounds like the perfect E85 NA injector sizing to me.

·
My sig is longer than yours
2,163 Posts
33% of 240 is 79.2
so 240 + 33% = 319.2
youcan go with 310's and up the duty cycle a bit, or go with 390cc dsm injectors. i decided on the 310's because it would be a lot easier to get the car running an tuned as the basemap wouldnt be too far off on injector duration

1 - 20 of 21 Posts