Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's this that I heard that the D-series motors are know for chucking off their crank pully? I was driving the other night and giving the car a bit of stick, when whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrr.......stop the car....belt fucked out and threw itself into the alt belt, pulling it off too. I got the belt back on and replaced the powersteering belt, only to have a clicking sound. So I check the crank nut, find the damn thing loose, so I tighten it and mentioned this to my local honda shop and they say that this problem is quite common with the d-series motors..............IS THIS GUY RIGHT???

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cryz2 said:
hummmmmmmm not any more than other cars , with timing belts , and not chains
Charming........guess I'll just have to tighten the thing with a spanner wedged against the road....

You still have the twin carbs? My Honda came with them......(no comment)

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cryz2 said:
yep still have dule carbs and love them , make shour you have the right taque for that nut , also if it happens again try some thred lock , have you still got your carbs too ,
It's torqued about as much as it can be. I tried thread lock and the bugger still came off..

Nah I turfed the carbs as I couldn't get kits for them, they started getting quite heavy on the juice still after being dyno'd they made 69kw (dunno what that is in hp) on the wheels on an auto box. Swapped it for a D15B SOHC VTEC. some bugs to sort out, but now it's dress up time for the motor.

·
Registered
civic
1,750 Posts
ok cool , just love the sound of them , also thay are very easy too mod , i get 90 BHP out of my D14A1 i am about to do a cam swap , oh and I have a home made CAI for them with a HKS style filter , this has given it so much more pull i do not know what gains in BHP i got but i can feel a nice inprovement
ps i like the photos

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm getting about 110 bhp, wheels at the mo, I have a new intake manifold on the planning board as well, just have to wait till I got to the states next year or to the UK next month. I've had the headers and a new zorst done, CAI done, but I ended up making my own, new wiring loom also is due as is a new valve cover. car barks when VTEC kicks in.......sounds great.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
693 Posts
flatfourfan said:
What's this that I heard that the D-series motors are know for chucking off their crank pully? I was driving the other night and giving the car a bit of stick, when whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrr.......stop the car....belt fucked out and threw itself into the alt belt, pulling it off too. I got the belt back on and replaced the powersteering belt, only to have a clicking sound. So I check the crank nut, find the damn thing loose, so I tighten it and mentioned this to my local honda shop and they say that this problem is quite common with the d-series motors..............IS THIS GUY RIGHT???
Shit happens...happened to me too. Altho I wasn't driving around fortunately...
local honda mechs told me the same thing. They told me to use the pulley with dampers rather than those without...

S

·
0 Posts
lol i had my crank pulley fall off while i was pulling into my friends neighborhood. startled the hell out of me, looked in the rear view and saw it laying in the middle of the road

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
little bit of lok-tite and a spanner wedged against the road, sling the ignition and all's good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts