Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if all 88-2000 d-series axles are universal. An example: I bought a SOHC ZC and I'm going to buy an SI tranny. I also will have some 90-93 knuckles/hub assemblies. I'd like to use the Si trans, some kind of d-series axles and put those into the 90-93 integra hubs.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
'96+ have unequal-length axles... my driver's side one is like 3 feet long. Long enough to need a rubber dampener in the middle.

I know many earlier ones had an intermediate shaft that made both axles the same length.

·
Registered
'06 GMC Sierra Crew
170 Posts
AFAIK, the only ones that had intermediate shaft setup are DOHC motors. Although there are maybe some SOHC JDM ZCs that had it also. Also, if you're using using a ZC diff, you'll need to use the inter-shaft setup, cuz the diff doesnt have the machined groove to c-clip the driver side axle in place, so the moment you drive off, the axle pops out (ask me how i know, hehe...). The D16s have the proper holes machined/tapped for the bracket so the conversion is easy. D15s dont and need a custom bracket. I've done the inter-shaft setup on both...

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
AFAIK, the only ones that had intermediate shaft setup are DOHC motors. Although there are maybe some SOHC JDM ZCs that had it also. Also, if you're using using a ZC diff, you'll need to use the inter-shaft setup, cuz the diff doesnt have the machined groove to c-clip the driver side axle in place, so the moment you drive off, the axle pops out (ask me how i know, hehe...). The D16s have the proper holes machined/tapped for the bracket so the conversion is easy. D15s dont and need a custom bracket. I've done the inter-shaft setup on both...
Yup on ZC DOHC had the midshaft, I like using 92 and up axles, for some reason 88-91 axles some times come in really thin and have smaller tripods even for the Si's. I have never had a issue with 92+ axles...

·
Registered
18 Posts
What's involved in converting a non-equal length 98 SOHC big-bearing d-series hydro box to an intermediate shaft setup?

What vehicles are suitable intermediate shaft donors?

WIll there be any benefits, particularly torque steer?

Nick.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
just to clear some things up:

1) no USDM SOHC civics used intermediate shafts
2) i'm not positive about EF's, but EG's have un-equal length axles (green hornet made it kinda seem like only EK's had them)
3) all civics (except for STD's and HF's) and tegs have the same size hub splines

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.