Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I feel like a total noob in asking this but searching has provided mixed answers, and some confusion. So hopefully we can get this cleared up for the last time.....well hopefully lol. Im sure it will come up again soon.

I read the statement that all D axles are the same from 88-00 EXCEPT for the hf/std axles which have different hubs, but some of my confusion comes in the specific application of the axles in regards to different chassis, motor and tranny combinations (well my combo at least ;)).

I did come across in my search a hilarious thread with Cleft_Asunder. I lol'd at the drama.

Anyways heres my car:

90 Si with a Z6 and a cable tranny - from what I gather I should just use my ED axles with it, which is what I believe I have done this whole time, but will 92-00 axles fit as well with a cable tranny?

I ask because I can get a pair of used 97 CX axles for like $50.

Also from researching that if I convert and use a 92-95 hydro tranny in my ED, that I can ONLY use 92-95 axles (or possibly up to 00??), because one of the axles is longer. Therefore, I cannot use my ED axles in this case. Is that right?

So if one of the axles is longer in EG/EK's because of the tranny, then how can all d axles be the same?

Have I been mislead with something that I've read? They logically clash, so Im confused!

Any help is appreciated on this age old and likely annoying question from my D family :bigok:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Don't quote me but I think 90-00 are all the same. All you need is to know how many spline you are. IF it's 21 spline then I think any 90-00 will work.

But as I said. Don't quote me I'm not sure

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,476 Posts
D axles are not all the same.

88-91 are different lengths than 92-00........

92-95 Left = 773mm-778mm
92-95 Right = 500mm-505mm

88-91 Left = 775mm-780mm
88-91 Right = 483mm-487mm

·
Registered
1990 Civic Si
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
D axles are not all the same.

88-91 are different lengths than 92-00........

92-95 Left = 773mm-778mm
92-95 Right = 500mm-505mm

88-91 Left = 775mm-780mm
88-91 Right = 483mm-487mm
so i guess this answers my questions regarding the z6/tranny/88-91 chassis combo.

If using cable tranny use 88-91 axles.
If using hydro tranny use 92-00 axles.

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
Bone would you be so kind as to post up spline count both shaft and hub? I would sticky this as I have ran into this question 100 times. Search function blows when it comes to abbreviated words.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
so i guess this answers my questions regarding the z6/tranny/88-91 chassis combo.

If using cable tranny use 88-91 axles.
If using hydro tranny use 92-00 axles.
Go-Autoworks he has a hydro tranny in his ED. he can tell you. and let us know what he says!:bigok:

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,476 Posts
Bone would you be so kind as to post up spline count both shaft and hub? I would sticky this as I have ran into this question 100 times. Search function blows when it comes to abbreviated words.
88-91 CRX HF/Civic STD have the smaller outer joints.

IIRC "normal" = 26 spline where as the tiny STD/HF axles are 23 spline.

ALSO IIRC the smaller axles use a 30mm axle nut instead of the typical 32mm.

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
No matter what your prison bitches say, you're still the man Bone.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Someone wanna add 96-00 axle info here?

I know they are a different length from 88-91 and 92-95, but Im not sure iof they are shorter or longer.

Id guess, but I dont want someone reading this thread quick and possibly seeing my incorrect answer

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
are 89-91 ef auto and manual axles the same?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
are 89-91 ef auto and manual axles the same?
i used auto axles in mine after i did an auto to manual swap but one of the boots ripped right after. put a manual axle in and it was fine. IIRC it was the long axle that ripped a boot right away.

·
Registered
1999 EJ8
1,188 Posts

I know they are a different length from 88-91 and 92-95, but Im not sure iof they are shorter or longer.

Id guess, but I dont want someone reading this thread quick and possibly seeing my incorrect answer
+1

I have life-time Autozone axles for a '96 DX Civic. They are installed on my '94 EX coupe with ABS, which has never worked. They are working fine from what I can tell, I went through a set already but I think that was due to an improperly staked/torqued hub nut.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
i used auto axles in mine after i did an auto to manual swap but one of the boots ripped right after. put a manual axle in and it was fine. IIRC it was the long axle that ripped a boot right away.
thanks for the response rep for you

·
Registered
91 CRX SI
409 Posts
Maybe a little late, but if you put a hydro tranny in a EF you use the axles that would go with the tranny. The axle input on the 92-00 trannys sit 1 inch closer to the center of the vehicle. So the axles are one inch longer and shorter to make up for it. I have a 95 EX tranny in my 91 CRX using the hasport conversions kit.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
have a z6/s20 hydro combo going into a 91 hatch. which axles do I use? I have the stock z6 axles off a 94 ex will these work in an ef body?

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Look at transzex's post way above.

the driver side axle is nearly the same, but the passenger side, the Z6 axle is about a centimeter longer.

Might work if the car is at stock ride height. if you lower it, I do recommend the proper axles, as the tranny will be closer to teh hub level, making the longer passenger axle an issue. POSSIBLY.

I havent really tried doing eg axles into an ED (88-91)

·
1.8 nawz powa
6,579 Posts

I have a 98 ex driver side axle, and a 91 civic si pass. side axle.

Trans is a 90-91 civic si 5 spd.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I used a 32mm on my 91 civic std too..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts