Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
D-Series O.G.
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm compiling a list of everything needed to do an AWD conversion using our D Series. The easiest route seems to be to do a D2B sdwap and go full CRV AWD and use one of the various suppliers like S1 Built, AKD, Hub City Performance, FJ Race, etc for their drivetrain mount kits. I've also seen us D Series guys using the S22 Honda AWD Cable shifted, hydro trans from the EH1 Civic RTSi.

For this thread I will be concentrating on using the S22 Transmission specifically and will assume the rest of the drivetrain with the exception of front axles, will be the normal AWD conversion parts used on B series swaps.

I'm looking for everyone in the community to chime in with knowledge of this swap so we can finally get it all in one thread. I'll be updating it as time permits.

Please post part numbers for items specifics (mounts, seals, bearings, etc) and/or manufacturers links supplying parts.

Thanks everyone in advance!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chassis - EG/EJ
Engine - D15/D16 Variants
Transmission - S22 AWD Type Only

Items Needed

S22 Trans
Wagovan Oil Pan (to clear transfer case)

Clutch - no information

throwout bearing - Honda # 22810-p22-008

Mounts - from Civic RTSi or Orthia or make custom. T bracket is also S22 trans specific

Shifter - 88-91 AWD wagovan or Honda Civic Beagle 4WD will work with minimal effort

Shifter Cables - 88-91 AWD wagovan or Honda Civic Beagle 4WD will work with minimal effort

Axles - No information

·
Registered
971 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
For the axles, the S22 on a D-Series uses an intermediate shaft specific to the MT S22 (Note: AT and MT 4WD intermediate shafts are different), then two equal length axles adjusted to 496.1-501.1mm. A standard D-series 5G Civic 2WD right driveshaft is 500.6-505.6mm so I'm guessing but not certain that two of these axles adjusted to the correct length will suffice. Visually, as far as I could tell, there is no other difference from a standard right-side axle of these 2WD Civics of the same vintage, other than this. I've had the OEM 4WD axles apart to repack them (torn boots), and this was what I gleaned on examining them. I didn't count the splines, however. The inner boot had an SM4 part number printed on it - nothing special (same as from a 90s Accord).

Note if you do use the wagovan oil pan, you may need an equivalent 4G Civic oil pickup since I believe the pan is shallower than the one on 5G Civics. Also note that the 5G Civic oil pan that clears the 4WD transmission is strangely used in Japan on other 5G Civics, notably those with a SOHC ZC engine (where I got mine), so isn't impossibly hard to get ahold of.

You're right about the trans mount bracket on the right frame being different; there are no more of these available BNIB in the world since I bought the last one in 2016. At least not from standard channels. You'll need to custom mfr this, since acquiring a used one is unlikely. Rear mount is also unique, as you stated, as is the torque mount.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Oops I see you also wanted info on the clutch, well that's easy: Standard 5G Civic D-series clutch and flywheel. Some other small things to consider: The A-pipe is for some unknown reason specific to the 4WD - possibly so it clears the propeller shaft? - plus the bracket that it hangs off on the back side of the block. The rear stiffener and the metal clutch cover are also 4WD-specific.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts