Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, for first i would like to introduce myself, I'm from Poland and live with Hondas from about 14 years, both B and D but mostly engine guy not a GB guy..

Now i have problem that really do not know how to tackle. i need to do a swap to rear engine body so i need to rotate engine, that being said i will end up with 4 gears reverse and one ahead. with manual transmission there is no problem, i would just take any right rotating gearbox from Opel for example and combining it with left rotating engine gives me gearing in right way, but i cannot rotate automatic gearbox in wrong way so basically there is only one solution and here is my question.

Can i take out diff from automatic GB from EG or EF and put it up side down? that with engine facing exhaust to end of a car should give me gears in right way or am i wrong?

below reference picture with manual transmission.

Many thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,719 Posts
You can't rotate the engine. If you're making a rear engine car using a honda engine/transmission, the way you see the engine and trans in that picture you uploaded will give you 5 forward gears and one reverse gear. There is nothing else that can be done about that orientation (within reason).

The orientation of the engine in relation to the car is what matters, just orient things so that the engine/trans when in forward gears wants to rotate the axles in a forward direction. Doesn't seem difficult to understand?

All this other stuff about swapping diffs, and mounting transmissions upside down, no reason to do such a thing. If you are in the process of taking on a project where you want to put a honda engine in the rear of the car, you should be well equipped to handle the modification and fabrication necessary to perform such a project. There is nothing plug and play about such a project, but people have done it.

This kind of project is on my bucket list :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello And thank you for reply, you are right this picture can be misleading since its manual with Opel transmission, if it would be all Honda package driveshafts would be with a line of rear bumper :) in order to save line between hubs and diff i need to rotate engine, so it gives me 4 reverse and one forward, that why i'm asking about diff possibilities.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,719 Posts
It sounds like your running into space issues, where it would fit better if the driveshafts were forward of the assembly, rather than behind?

The only way you could install that assembly in the way you describe, the engine would need to rotate clockwise. That is VERY hard to do. There was one build I followed a while back where a guy successfully modified a B series to run clockwise. Custom camshafts, timing belt tensioning equipment, custom water pump impeller, oil pump housings, a custom left handed thread crank snout and bolt for the harmonic balancer. It was a LOT of custom work, but allowed him to orient the engine/transmission in the way you are describing. This guy was not being practical, more to just say he built a clockwise B series, regardless of time and cost. Was very cool in the end and shows what's possible, but he could have saved time and money just going with a different engine/trans.

That's the kind of modifications required to stuff it in there the way you want unfortunately. The easiest way will be to cut the body up to get driveshafts to line up with your hubs, but this will make the car more mid engine rather than the rear engine layout you desire.

There are plenty more engine/trans combos that would be much better suited for what you are doing if you can't cut the body for some reason.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
actually, there isn't, 90% of front wheel driven cars has driveshafts behind engine regardless if they are clock or counter clock wise, also even if i build D that rotate in right it will mean that automatic will run backwards which i heard is death sentence to tranny due to oil pump hydraulics and all off that, in manual there is simple solution you take any other non Honda transmission and rotate it, so you change rotation twice and in the end you have proper drive train. for my application since its need to be automatic i have 3 options first put diff up side down to spin tranny in correct way but have opposite output on shafts and that why I've asked, second build in transmission into control arms, who simple sprockets 4 bearings that will change my output on wheels opposite way, or worst option take right rotating engine and tranny from mercedes a class, its one of them who has drive shafts before engine.

whole car weights around 1100 lbs and its my wife, so building central, even is super popular here on d9/z5 engines is not really and option. for me its just interesting problem to solve.

·
Registered
'91 CRX DX, D15B (D15Z7), ZC L3
117 Posts
Could he combine a newer Honda motor with an older transmission? Or the other way around? L-series motors spin the other way, which would spin a d-series trans backwards.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Looking at crank pulley, D/B/F/H motors are COUNTER clockwise, all other normal motors are clockwise.

There is no such thing as reversing that outside of serious custom parts.

If you need a tight squeezing engine setup, choose the L15 engine series from the Honda fit/city/jazz. Intake manifolds are super tightly curved above engine, exhaust is a cast collector to head, and megasquirt can easily be made to control it.

If you want reasonable power, find an old suzuki 3cylinder, make a DIY ecu with speeduino, and you have a basic NA motor with 60+ hp at the crank with the correct head and camshaft combination.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys for answers, but it still up to the problem with transmission, can automatic transmission run backwards. i could easily take any D series with clockwise transmission, but as i know automatics will not work when running backwards. or am i wrong?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,748 Posts
Mount the engine tarns unit in proper orientation that they were designed to work in, the solve the problems from there.

Honda automatic or manual, run them backwards and you WILL burn them up. The TEETH on the ring gear acts as a pump to provide lube to the gearshafts, as do most transmissions as well as other lawn engines and such.

"Splash Lube"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Exactly, thank you, i know that. bot there is any way to invert rotation of driveshafts? that why i asked about diff rather than box itself

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
This is a good troll lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is a good troll lol

Thank you kind sir, but actually not, the same issue you will face with beetle Subaru swap, but for that application you can buy reversed final drive to Subaru fwd trans that will simple change rotation on driveshafts, i'm looking exactly same outcome but in d series tranny. there is simple three answers to my question one: can be done, second: no not possible, third: never tried that.

if i had i d series automatic laying anywhere in ma shop, i will try that i find my answer in one hour but since i'm not having it i just simple ask if anyone here put apart D series automatic and see how diff looks like if its symmetric or not.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,719 Posts
Thank you kind sir, but actually not, the same issue you will face with beetle Subaru swap, but for that application you can buy reversed final drive to Subaru fwd trans that will simple change rotation on driveshafts, i'm looking exactly same outcome but in d series tranny. there is simple three answers to my question one: can be done, second: no not possible, third: never tried that.

if i had i d series automatic laying anywhere in ma shop, i will try that i find my answer in one hour but since i'm not having it i just simple ask if anyone here put apart D series automatic and see how diff looks like if its symmetric or not.
Just thinking about shafts and rotation in our gear boxes, there is no way, short of changing rotation direction of the input shaft or adding another gear in-between the countershaft and the diff ring gear, can you get the diff to spin the direction you want.

The reversed final drive thing could only conceviably work for ring and pinion 90 degree mesh type final drives, this kind:

Product Auto part Axle part Steel Gear

Even then, the throw and position of the pinion is completely re-engineered relative to the ring gear in order to get the diff to spin the opposite direction.

Our transmission final drives are straight mesh, as you must have noticed in your split apart automatic box in the pics above. Flipping the diff, reversed shafts or other such magic will not work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thank you both, you are super heroes. judging on photos is already not possible. so or different engine like subaru since original motor has two cylinders and its inline with car not cross mount or custom control arms with some dual gear setup.

thanks again

1 - 15 of 15 Posts