Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
90' crx duh?
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some of you may remember my last post of whether to buy a miata or a del sol.
well, i'm sticking with what i know. A Honda. i'm not leaving the "H" just yet. but now i come to two choices with the del sol. the SI has a SOHC d16 vtec (Z6 or Y8???) or get the "VTEC" badged model with a b16. i know both motors make roughly the same TQ, so horsepower figures aren't all that. the high redline of the B does make me smile, but the D16 is what i know through and through. what suggestions or knowledge can you lend to a first time del sol buyer, and which motor would you choose?
my budget will consist of a mild NA or mild turbo build. nothing expensive, nothing fancy. probably IHE with a cam and head work. also, this will be my wife and mine's road trip car, so not a track car.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
B16 in NA form is to weak for that chassis. Id say get the DOHC model if you can find one for a reasonable price and turbo it with like an 18g. You have more capability to boost a higher level with the B than the D plus the gearing. That and if the bottom end ever goes out you can do an LS/VTEC.

·
Registered
248 Posts
d16y8 97 si is nice with what your talking about doing plus for road trips do a light weight flywheel and stage 1 clutch kit from xtd feels great

·
Registered
90' crx duh?
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
B16 in NA form is to weak for that chassis. Id say get the DOHC model if you can find one for a reasonable price and turbo it with like an 18g. You have more capability to boost a higher level with the B than the D plus the gearing. That and if the bottom end ever goes out you can do an LS/VTEC.
that's the problem. b16 model= hard to find/expensive/riced out.
i can find a d series model all day long for 3000

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think you made your own decision. D ftw! Mine has a D and im not complaining. Great gas milage for your road trips too.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
well you could always turbo the D OR find a sol thats been swapped already. usually not hard to find. Depends on how far you wanna go with it. If you just want 200hp keep your D but if you wanna go over 250 try to find one with a built D or b swap if you wanna keep it easy

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
Boosted D for a delsol im not a fan of n/a D on heavier cars.

your B options its whats popular

N/A= ls/vtec b20/vtec

boosted B = ls/vtec or gsr

now check the bank and see what you can afford.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
boosted d series. cheap reliable, powerfull, and bomb gas milage when outa boost.

·
Registered
^^^^
2,102 Posts
I'd stick with the D, man. Build it up, make it fun.
I love the D in my Del Sol. I've made mild changes
and it's a good time to drive.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
ya know this is D SERIES.org. pretty sure your gonna get more ppl sayn the D. even tho this lean got me leaning, im pretty sure im right. YouTube - lil wayne Me & My Drank

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
Id do an LS-T over a boosted D. You can hit 250 without a hiccup on the LS and never have to crack the thing open to build it. That and you can get an LS fro the price of a D now a days

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Id do an LS-T over a boosted D. You can hit 250 without a hiccup on the LS and never have to crack the thing open to build it. That and you can get an LS fro the price of a D now a days
its still a B. you can hit 250whp without a hiccup to in a D.

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
One letter...

K

·
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
Better yet... Super K

·
Registered
90' crx duh?
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ya know this is D SERIES.org. pretty sure your gonna get more ppl sayn the D. even tho this lean got me leaning, im pretty sure im right. YouTube - lil wayne Me & My Drank
ah hell no. i know you did not just come on up inta mah thread and quote "lil' wang" lol. ya d16 FTW. it is a Z6 right? or did they switch to the y8 in 97?

·
Registered
90' crx duh?
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jeezy, you from cen. Ill??? i'm from SO ILL, knowing how things out there work, we probably related....

·
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
jeezy, you from cen. Ill??? i'm from SO ILL, knowing how things out there work, we probably related....
1. I just live here. I'm from the east coast.
2. You never know... I might be a cousing of yours if you are black, latino, or both...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts