Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you drive a 92-95 Civic i'll bet you have accidentally left your headlights on at least once or twice... well i left them on and killed my battery recently so i figured i would do a lil research and make a buzzer to remind myself to turn them off... first, go to Radio Shack and pick out a buzzer, they have a few to select from but unfortunately you cant hear them first... you will also need to hit up an auto parts store and pick up a "add a fuse" deal... it allows you to add a fused accessories to your fuse box...

SO, this mod should only take you about 5-10 minutes to complete...

parts list, one of each:
1) Buzzer
2) Add a fuse - not sure of the technical term (you will find it by the in line fuses) it will also come with a small assortment of fuses
3) solder-less female connector

Tools needed:
1) Phillips screw driver
2) 10 millimeter wrench or socket
3) crimper/soldering iron - depends on your preference

first step is to remove the plastic cover under the steering wheel - 3 screws
next, remove the metal support brace - 2 10 millimeter bolts

now you can set up the buzzer and add a fuse...
crimp/solder the female connector to the black/ground wire
next crimp the red/power wire to the add a fuse (you can cut the connector off and solder/shrink tape if you wish)

now go ahead and install the fuses in the add a fuse, remember to put the 10 amp fuse in the slot without the red wire coming out, i went with the 7.5 amp fuse for the buzzer...

now its time to go plug it in...
i pulled the 10 amp fuse for the parking lights and put the add a fuse there, then plug the ground wire into slot marked 1... slot 1 is actually a hot wire but when the ignition is off it becomes a ground... this is good because it means the buzzer will only sound if the key is off and the parking/head lights are on...
it is important to note that you need to make sure to plug the add a fuse into the fuse box to where the red wire is on the fused side and not the hot side of the fuse box, meaning, if the red wire is on the hot side the fuse will not work as the power will not travel threw the fuse...

now just tuck the buzzer up out of the way and put the support brace/plastic cover back on and your good to go...

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
nice....

·
Registered
my Skateboard
1,945 Posts
Nice write up. I'm not tryin to rain on ur parade or be a jerk but you can do this with all genuine honda parts, its definatly A LOT harder than your write up here. But if your ok with it and it serves its function :TU: I just feel obligated to throw that out there...

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^^ i'm well aware of this, from the research i did it appears to a JDM option that wasn't available in the states... i also searched Majestic Honda and could not find it...

to be honest, i'm a lil surprised my civic doesn't have it , it has all the options including rear disc and rear sway bar plus it was made in Japan... this lil mod is doing the job just fine so i'm content with it... :TU:

·
Registered
my Skateboard
1,945 Posts
As long as your happy with it is all that matters! :bigok:

I did it with a certain integra ICU and chime I found at the junk yard, I have my whole interior apart so it was easy for me it install. a lot of depining and soldering though..

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^ you say it likes a bad thing... yes i'm happy. would i rather go OEM..? of coarse lol

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys :TU:
Apparently I can't rep from my note2 :(

·
Registered
129 Posts
Dman you can buy them from ebay. Nice right up po. Ive only left lights on once and that was on my 06 taurus and it had a chime lol. Just wasnt paying attention...

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damn, I want that so bad. Gonna buy those parts next time I'm in the US.
The parts are super cheap... it costs more if you want a fancy buzzer. .. lol
Dman you can buy them from ebay. Nice right up po. Ive only left lights on once and that was on my 06 taurus and it had a chime lol. Just wasnt paying attention...
Huh, never even thought to look on ebay. ..

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^^ it is very easy...

·
Registered
98 Posts
successfully installed on my 93 Si Del Sol - love it - no more leaving the running lights on! I used this DIY - thanks for the write up 4-door

1 - 20 of 32 Posts