Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i recently pulled out the motor out of my parts car my boss had sitting in his backyard, not only did he know how rare the motor in it was, but i got the whole car for free. Its a 1990 civic sedan lx, slammed, rusted out, with a d15b sitting under the hood with apparently roughly 120,000km on the motor. As soon as i got my hands on it, i reefed out the motor and started getting it ready to drop into my current car, a 1989 civic sedan dx, currently with a very tired 290,000km d15b3 in it. I picked up a newer z6 vtec head, throttle body, intake manifold, injectors, from a friend. Im wondering how hard it will be to accomplish putting the d15b with the z6 head into my 89 civic sedan dx? any help is apprieciated on what to do for electronics to run the vtec and such, thanks.

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
Why wouldnt you use the D15B head? You will lose a little compression and cam lift with the Z6 head.

Im assuming were talking about a D15B vtec here.

Also, you need to search how to wire an obd1 motor into an obd0 car, this isnt spoonfeedthenoob.com

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
assuming that the d15b is a jdm d15b then you should not change the head to the z6 one because they are essentially the same. Both are stamped p-08 and cams, rocker arm assembly are the same, port design and chamber volume are the same. If one is fucked up, use the other.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the d15b i have is jdm and its older, the head im planning on putting onto the motor is from a newer civic such as an eg or ek, the jdm d15b i have doesnt have vtec already, i think i may of said the wrong name of the head, ill find out more info from my friend i got the head off of

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
So why doesnt it have vtec? All D15B are vtec.
no there not some have a blockoff plate. I seem to remember a post about a guy that had a d15b that had a d15b head but had a blockoff plate where the vtec solenoid went, he took off the valvecover and it had the vtec valvetrain and cam but for some reason they decided not to put on the vtec solenoid. So you could possibly get a vtec solenoid and a new ecu (or rpm switch) and have a vtec engine.

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
D15B dont come in EF. It was probably swapped in. A blockoff plate doesnt mean its not a vtec engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
those are the pics of the head off the d15b head that was on the motor doesnt look like it has vtec stuff to me

·
Registered
296 Posts
you should post some pics of the stampings on the head. Or both of them (the said d15b and the new one from your friend) as well as the back or at least back of the distributor side so we can see if its got the vtec sol, or a block off plate etc

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the second head is what was on the d15b block when i got it the stampings on it are pm3-3, while the new head i got the stampings are po8-2

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
Ok so put the P08 head on it and be done with it. Then do an obd1 conversion to your civic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
okay then i need a vtec solonoid and stuff too? and also the timing belt is too long too, so i need a shorter one, i just really want to know what the head is so when i get gaskets and the vtec stuff for it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts