Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im interested in getting my p29's cryoed also a couple other parts does anyone kn0w prices or close by places or have any imput go right ahead thanks also im in tampa bay area fl

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I see! stock rods? might wanna at least get I-beams in there. A shot is on the limit of using stock rods really...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my bad should have told you bout my build im piecing together well its a z6 block gonna bore over .25 get my p29s im debating if i want to get rods or cryo treat them and yes they will hold up wit cry my head im doin fully p&p with port mach intake 5 angle valve job either bisi or crower valve train oem valves and stage 2 crower cam

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Would p28s be better for this? How much would the cryo treatment cost versus a set of forged?

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
'08 Mazdaspeed3
2,469 Posts
Even with the treatment?
if the engine was tuned PERFECTLY on the nitrous, and using great fuel, you might be ok, cryo or not. cryo can only help so much, it's not a miracle process. it's more of a "while the engine is apart" added insurance thing. sorta like peening rods, or to a lesser extent, filing sharp edges in the CC or polishing piston tops. just extra stuff to do while it's apart that can help.

you need a buffer for variances in things like fuel quality, etc. forged pistons give you this buffer. i know for a fact that it only takes a few pings to break the ring lands (which is where the rings sit on a piston) of the cast p29. so...i can't even imagine what would happen if you had a ping while spraying. also, spraying makes for dramatic temperature changes in the CC, so cast pistons under extreme duress from high compression, then hit with spray...

keep in mind those p29's were not meant for 12:1, which alot of us use/have used them for, so throwing juice on top of them is asking for trouble.

i don't know, i'd never suggest it.

if you are going to spray and run high compression, which is an AWESOME combination (not only because the combo rocks, but because it makes the engine not so boring for the 99.9% of the time you are not using juice), i highly recommend you maximize the tear down of the engine for the build and use good rods and good pistons. for me, at that point i'd just boost it, so you can have max power available at any time, w/o having to fill bottles and worry about whatever, but that's just me.

·
Registered
402 Posts
thanks for the imput what about aftermarket ring kits like npr which are nitrided for nitrous?
Rings are not nitrided for nitrous, they are nitrided to add strength and hardness to the rings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts