Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: I got a different block today. It is prime. Problem solved. The other block is going to be my buddy and I's project for later. I am just going N/A mostly factory y8 re-build. I got my head hot tanked, cast blasted, and shaved so its super clean and ready for these prime valves to be put in it. Do you guys have any suggestions for me before I start piecing the whole engine together Thursday/Friday? Im really excited about my project thread, should be a fun one. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
'97 crv
1,467 Posts
Wouldnt doing this throw the whole balance of things out of whack resulting in even more problems? sounds to me like u need to bore them all out to 75.5 or get a new block

·
Registered
93 integra ls b18c
2,633 Posts
take it to a machine shop and have it bored over

·
Registered
434 Posts
What is your application? Stock rebuild? Turbo? Do you care if it might burn a little oil?

If it was my shit i would run it, large ring gap certainly wont hurt anything.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I wouldn't chance I ring gap that size. Your best bet seems to be an overbore it would be cheaper than a new block and then chancing that block having similiar issues

·
Registered
113 Posts
I wouldn't chance I ring gap that size. Your best bet seems to be an overbore it would be cheaper than a new block and then chancing that block having similiar issues

·
Registered
372 Posts
If it were mine I would NOT run it. A bore and hone isn't too expensive and it will be worth it. Have it bored to 75.5mm. You have a wide variety of piston choices at that size too.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
You an get oversize rings for most pistons. Most serious racing pistons come with them std or at least a tick the box option.

They normally have to small a ring gap and you need to file to size. If you can get a set that fit your pistons then file to the gap you want, that will fix your problem.

Even so, if you run at 0.028# ring gap, it will run fine for normal use. It may burn just a little oil and it may have a litle more blow by than normal for a fresh engine and it may have a shorter life, so it lasts 100,000 miles instead of 200,000 miles. Big deal. Bore it then, use what you have now.

If you are boosting to 250hp+ or running to win a competitive class or chasing the last 0.01 seconds, it's a problem. Otherwise just run it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a different block today. It is prime. Problem solved. The other block is going to be my buddy and I's project for later. I am just going N/A mostly factory y8 re-build. I got my head hot tanked, cast blasted, and shaved so its super clean and ready for these prime valves to be put in it. Do you guys have any suggestions for me before I start piecing the whole engine together Thursday/Friday? Im really excited about my project thread, should be a fun one. Thanks guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts