Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, has anyone/company ever made an aftermarket head for the d?

I know just about any 4 valve head any company has made is usually pretty good but I didn't know if there were any one-off pieces floating around out there.

My last question is: can anyone get me a picture of a bare a6/b2 head looking at the intake ports and getting half the port side and half the top (cam/lifter valley?)

You can move this to General/Entertainment/Party&BS if you need to . . .

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
one more question :D and maybe some answers? :(

does anyone have the "pro" springs by bisi?

What are the spring demands of the "level 2" cams (and other manufacturers out there)?

Also, does anyone have a spring laying around to take some measurements?

Sounds like I need to go to the junkyard and pick up a b2 head . . .

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
To my knowledge, there have never been any aftermarket heads for the D. There are some for the B and K, but not many people with Ds have pockets deep enough for that.

I will have pics eventually, but it will be a while. I have to get home and pull one of the two B2 heads I have and take it to get cleaned.

Each manufacturor has different Levels, and different demands. Most require springs if you ar reving over stock rev limits. If you aren't, then you are wasting the cam. Most cams of the level 2 variety and above would also like quite a bit of a compression increase.

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To my knowledge, there have never been any aftermarket heads for the D. There are some for the B and K, but not many people with Ds have pockets deep enough for that.

I will have pics eventually, but it will be a while. I have to get home and pull one of the two B2 heads I have and take it to get cleaned.

Each manufacturor has different Levels, and different demands. Most require springs if you ar reving over stock rev limits. If you aren't, then you are wasting the cam. Most cams of the level 2 variety and above would also like quite a bit of a compression increase.
thanks for the info.

The plan is to get try some stuff out with my TIG . . . namely raising the intake ports and building an aluminum carb intake.

I wanted to know about the springs because ford 4v modular springs look pretty similar and we just throw that stuff away at the shop.

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I can't find anywhere that has the spring diameter but I would imagine they would be bigger than the honda springs and they are bee-hives . . .

all I have found are the specs:

65# @ 1.4228 (seat)
160# @ 1.031 (open)

Bind is probably another .015-.020"

Is the installed height for the a6 really at 1.950"?

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
I don't know the heights for any springs. I am not that savy . . . yet.

I am surprised no one has made behive springs and appropriately smaller retainers for the D- That would be a singularly great improvement for the vlavetrain, from what I have read from various V8 resources.

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know the heights for any springs. I am not that savy . . . yet.

I am surprised no one has made behive springs and appropriately smaller retainers for the D- That would be a singularly great improvement for the vlavetrain, from what I have read from various V8 resources.
Not sure why either . . . you just would have to make a retainer.

That would be the next step . . . I am not sure what the lock for the honda valve is machined at. What is the valve stem diameter on the hondas?

Crap man :D I need to find me a honda head ASAP!

Stem diameter for the 03/04 cobras is 6.7mm

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
OD for a d series valve stem in 5.49mm for the intake and 5.45mm

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
yes as far as i know they are

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
found the diameters for the 4v springs:

bottom is 1 1/16" O.D. (27mm) which would be the spring seat side, then necks up to 15/16" (24mm) retainer side.

I.D. is 11/16" (17.5mm) which is the measurement the retainer would fit in.

Any measurements on the honda springs? Anyone? :D

·
Registered
93 integra ls b18c
2,633 Posts
what all do you need measurements of? i have a couple z6 heads apart right now

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
damn i stripepd down my z6 head im porting last night, to bad it didnt have any springs other wise i could measure fo ya

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
I can't find anywhere that has the spring diameter but I would imagine they would be bigger than the honda springs and they are bee-hives . . .

all I have found are the specs:

65# @ 1.4228 (seat)
160# @ 1.031 (open)

Bind is probably another .015-.020"

Is the installed height for the a6 really at 1.950"?
A Crane cam would bind those :)

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what all do you need measurements of? i have a couple z6 heads apart right now
yes the O.D. and I.D. of the valve springs.

Trying to see if I can get these 4v mod motor springs to work in a honda head.

I had both in my possession at one time but I sold off the honda stuff I had when I sold my crx.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts