Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright well i haven't been on in a while because i've been pretty damn busy. anyways i managed to put the bottom end together last night and now i've moved to the head. first problem im having is that the cam wont spin...when i bought the motor he told me it had a skunk 2 stage 2 cam in it with an AEM true time cam gear. i want to get it back to TDC and it wont budge!

Any suggestions about what i can do?

·
Registered
97 Civic DX
692 Posts
use a 12mm wrench/socket...or is it 14mm ? i hate second guessing myself. :(

EDIT: D is 12mm and B is 14mm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
if timing belt is on, its easier if you loosen all the spark plugs less compression...but yeah, turn on that bolt..thats how i get mine to TDC

·
Registered
97 Civic DX
692 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if timing belt is on, its easier if you loosen all the spark plugs less compression...but yeah, turn on that bolt..thats how i get mine to TDC
considering i have the bottom end on one side of the garage and the head on the other im not about to put them together if my timing is off...so im gonna try zex's idea and hopefully it works

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so are you suggesting to install the timing belt then turn the engine so the head is at TDC? then do the bottom end?

·
Registered
289 Posts
How much was shaved off the head and the block, what type pistons? Are you sure it isn't hitting them or you're just having trouble fighting the fresh motor?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have no idea how much he took off but it was a very little amount and i am using vitara pistons. and yes my fresh motor is being a pain. i figured that it would be easier to time to engine if i set the block at TDC then did the same with the head, but since the aem time gear doesn't want to cooperate im gonna try to wrench it...

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
so are you suggesting to install the timing belt then turn the engine so the head is at TDC? then do the bottom end?

im saying put the block at tdc and get the head as close as it wants to be while its off. Put the head on and rotate the cam to tdc as you put the belt on. Im not saying to just bolt it up and go turning things like crazy. You did say this was all apart right?

·
Registered
681 Posts
to my knowledge their isnt a skunk stage 2 for d series on my stage one i had to file a lil off the sides of the oil bucket and a lil off the back side of the exhaust rockers look up the thread about clearancing the head for a crower 3

·
Registered
438 Posts
so your saying the head is not installed, just sittting on the bench and the cam won't rotate? Are the cam journals nice and clean? Or are the cam caps in the right position?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea its apart right now...the cam wont turn just from using my hand to turn it and yea everything is pretty clean. it came out of a running motor and the machinist said everything looked good. im thinking the best bet would be to try and turn it over..

·
Registered
438 Posts
wait... if you are saying you can-t turn the cam by hand then i think it is normal. remember you will be fighting the valve springs and unless your pretty buff it's not gonna happen. Now with a little leverage, say a wrench on the cam bolt, it should turn relatively smooth.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Put the block on TDC, mount the topp without the cam in. Place the cam at TDC an mount i proper, than you dont need to be afraid you hit the valves when you turn the cam to TDC without moving the pistons the right way.
And like Louie said, its hard to turn the cam by hand because of the springs but to be on the safe side take it appart like I said.

·
The H Badge is it!
91 crx
5,657 Posts
yeah, its not going to turn by hand... the valve springs are so tense it is nearly impossible. just use a 12mm and turn it clockwise.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
alright well she turned very nice however i have a few final questions

when the head is at TDC should all valves be closed? because two exhaust side valves are open was its at TDC

also on the AEM cam gear which mark would i be looking at for TDC...im guessing the one about the degree markings?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts