Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After talking to the local Honda shop I was a little bit skeptical about the H beam connecting rods that I ordered from CXRacing. He had nothing but trash to say about their products and the connecting rods being extremely important I thought I may have wasted $280. Here is what I got in the mail from CXRacing;

The first thing I noticed was that they were packaged very well. Each one had it's own bag and was wrapped in a wax/oily paper to keep moisture off of them. They were also separated in the box with dividers to keep them from beating together in shipping. After a thorough visual inspection I was definitely confident that these were much higher quality than the guy I had talked to had given them. Since visual inspection isn't everything and I have the access to an x-ray machine I work I figured I ought to use that to see what the eye can't see;

You will notice that there are a few little white specks in the x-ray pictures, those are from the the x-ray machine itself, it is NOT a problem with the rods. The x-ray machine I'm using was designed for being man portable so it isn't quite like a medical grade machine. I did shuffle the connecting rods individually to ensure that none of the spots were recurring.

After doing the x-rays I'm confident that these are not cheap castings and that the overall process used to make them was certainly quality. I realize that I have not tested the actual metal that they are made out of or the tensile strength but that is something that is certainly out of my realm of possibility. I will make sure that once I get them in my engine and start driving my car that I give follow up reports. I bought these with the plan of doing a turbo build but due to lack of funds I will be going NA for now. I think I might put some nitrous on it down the line to really see how well these will hold up but again I'm stretched thin on funds at the moment. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't see anything uneven on mine. Can you see it in the pictures I posted? The rod caps are "stuck" to the rods right now. I haven't really tried to separate them though. If there is a problem with these I think it would take a set of precise measuring tools, I sure can't seem to find issue.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
the rods dont bother me, what does is the small difference in price compared to a set of Eagles... I think I got mine for 320 shipped....

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
I've actually never had a problem with CXRacing, nice product review though!

Don't get to see many people with access to an X-ray machine around this site...

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Thanks for the awesome review you are the second person I have seen around here dealing with these rods and your review gives me hope that these will hold more power than my stock block can. Did these rods come with arp rod bolts ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I messed up and didn't buy the ones with rod bolts but I have seen them with rod bolts on eBay. I need to get head studs anyway and I have seen head studs and rod bolts sold together on eBay too. This weekend I plan on taking the blown engine that came in my CRX down to the car wash and cleaning it so that I can start tearing into it without getting disgusting. I think head studs and rod bolts are the only things I don't have as far as hard parts go.

·
Premium Member
'92 CX Twincharged D
750 Posts

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Eagle rods with ARP bolts are shipped from nopi for 286.

It's almost as if these are just unbadged eagle rods from china.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a set of these for my toyota paseo, my builder is freaking out with them due to they dont seem to have oiliers in them. i plan to use them in the build it got but the wrist pins that come with the pistons i bought are too loose in them and i dont have any retainers..i suggest i not use them because if they dont have oiliers they will just burn up the wrist pins. any help would be great.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts