Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my mechanic told me today that my left cv boot is torn and needs to be replaced. I figure that my Helmes manual should cover how to fix that, but my question is about a gringing noise i'm hearing.

Since I bought the car I hear this grinding nosie when I use my brakes, but the brakes have chacked out fine. So, could this noise be comming from a torn cv boot?

Thanks,
-d

·
Registered
349 Posts
well i know if your cv joints are bad they will click while you are turnning , i would think that something is wrong with your brakes if there is noise while braking

·
Registered
725 Posts
The CV shaft will make noise if it has been torn for a while. It would make more noise when you turn rather then when you brake. I would have the brakes checked out again just to make sure. It is easier to replace the entire CV shaft then it is to replace just the boot, with the right tools.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you can replace the boot with a "speedyboot" from the local auto store. Cheap and easy. Grinding when braking sounds like brakes to me...
That's what I've thought, but they've checked out fine. Damn phantom noises.
-d

·
Registered
96 civic hatch
183 Posts
i had same problem.. and thought it was a brake problem, but came out to be the left cv boot on mine. i checked it myself and thought it was ok but my mechanic double checked and noticed rips and tears that i couldn't see.. the noises are coming from the boot because it has no grease. i would recommend replacing it asap.. my friend had a bad cv boot and spun out and crashed because he didn't change it..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts