Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had to shell out more to get my car, but I picked up a bone stock 94 cx hatch in mint condition. Its still got the stock motor in it. Cost me a pretty penny, but its damn worth it.

My question is....I've heard tons of terrible things about the d15b8, but is the block usable for a mini-me? I was thinking of a build something like this:

D15B8 Block
D16Z6 Head - Exospeed Stage 2 Cam, Supertech Valvetrain
P29 Pistons w/ LS Rods
D16Z6 IM
B-Series TB
Z6/Y8 Tranny
Ebay Intake w/ Apexi filter
Vtec switch or Z6 ECU

Would I encounter any problems with Piston/Valve clearance with a setup like this? I did a search for D15B8, but didn't find anything like this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i've heard the stock d15b8 rods are pretty weak.....any truth to that? if not, i'll just use stock, and aim for 140whp.

edit: one other thing. if i upgrade the rod bolts with ARP's, would there be anything else in the block that would keep me from running 8k rpm's safely?

·
Registered
510 Posts

·
d-series Member
3,134 Posts
yeah but its sooo much cooler to say "my car spins 9,000 rpms yo" lol sorry i had to say it i dont think you'll hit 8k and make significant power... why rev high anyways? get a nicely geared tranny if you want power to carry over better between shifts. ask transzex in the tranny forum about it...

·
Boost Gets You Laid
Del Sol
4,402 Posts
Yes to the z6 mini-me and intake manifold(lots of people prefer y8 intake mani too...it's up to you). Try to get ARP head studs

Try to get the 62mm GSR TB and port match it to the intake manifold

Stock rods are fine.

ARP rod bolts are kinda pointless on stock rods. The journal will break before the bolt will.

Intake with apex'i/k&n/greddy filter

stay away from the vtec controlers. Get a chipped p28 or other ecu and have it dyno tuned.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, so maybe a full z6 swap would be a better option? also, has anyone used the z6 heads they have for sale on ebay for $300? They claim to use brand new OEM valve/retainers and have a full Port and Polish and 3 or 5 angle valve job. If thats true, it may be worth picking one of those up....

·
Registered
340 Posts
I don't know anything about those ebay heads. I wouldn't want one either. I'd look for a bone stock, never opened seals, D16Z6 long block. There's not as much risk, all the parts are made to work together. Less hassle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.