Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to install my Go-autoworks catch can and I was wondering about cutting the braided line. Do you guys have any tips or tricks you use to cut the line cleanly? I am running -10 Fragola push lock braided lines with Russell push lock fittings... Thanks :bigok:

·
Registered
94 Civic Cx
393 Posts
Cutting wheels better i always fucked up at the end and get straggling ends when i use a handsaw and wear thick gloves the steel braids hurt lol

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cutting wheels better i always fucked up at the end and get straggling ends when i use a handsaw and wear thick gloves the steel braids hurt lol
Sounds good guys.... I have a fine tooth saw that should do the trick.... Im going to post reviews of the can when finished.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I know right lol die grinder is always better.. I used a hack saw with mine and i did have a few straggling ends but i just snipped them off with some wire cutters to clean it up

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know right lol die grinder is always better.. I used a hack saw with mine and i did have a few straggling ends but i just snipped them off with some wire cutters to clean it up
Hmmm, I wonder how much worse it will be with non-steel braids? I bet it could get messy..... worst case I have a dremel with some nice big cutting wheels that would also work.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I use the tool used for flaring copper tubing. Like this: flaring tool - Bing Images (just the bottom piece of course)

I put the an hose in it, put it in my vise, then use a cutting wheel on an angle grinder to shave it down. You can get it PERFECT like that, not even 1 lose strand of steel. Use the side that is flat, not the side that has the bevel in it for the grinding.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I use a razor blade cause I gave up in the stainless braided lines and went with the newish aeroquip nylon braided lines. Hot knife in butter

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I used electrical tape tightly wound up around both ends of the cut. Used a Dremel cut-off wheel, with excellent results.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-forum/164938-how-install-hose-end-fittings.html

This is the way I did mines, but yours is stainless steel braided. In your case a cutting wheel will work better since I doesn't leave that much dust inside the fitting. Make sure you clean up the fitting in the inside from any dust. Some people used a hammer and a wide sharp edge chisel, one hit and is done, I will be just concern on the braided line being out of shape a bit but that just me.

If you gonna be doing lots of fittings or maybe want to charge for doing lines set up for somebody, this is the tool to get, one clean cut and is done.

I did mine with a pvc cutter and the cut was fast and clean, my lines were nylon braided thou, a lot softer than SS.

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-forum/164938-how-install-hose-end-fittings.html

This is the way I did mines, but yours is stainless steel braided. In your case a cutting wheel will work better since I doesn't leave that much dust inside the fitting. Make sure you clean up the fitting in the inside from any dust. Some people used a hammer and a wide sharp edge chisel, one hit and is done, I will be just concern on the braided line being out of shape a bit but that just me.

If you gonna be doing lots of fittings or maybe want to charge for doing lines set up for somebody, this is the tool to get, one clean cut and is done.

I did mine with a pvc cutter and the cut was fast and clean, my lines were nylon braided thou, a lot softer than SS.
Winner winner chicken dinner.

The scissor method leaves a slight crease in the hose where it goes into the fittings but if your shears are good enough it will cut the stainless hose easily and leave every strand AND its easy to push the hose back into a round shape.

You can still wrap it with electrical tape but I'll never use a ziz wheel/cut-off wheel/angle grinder again.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Ugh. Don't.

Braided stainless is expensive, horrible to work with, heavy and extremely abrasive. Use normal rubber hose.
Now he tells me lol.

But nah I ended up having good enough so I'm good. But I do see that the price is high as hell.
Makes more sense for people to sell nylon sleeves for rubber hose to give the look vs buy braided steel hose.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts