Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have look all over, and found only the doble or triple pod that goes in the driver side post. Do they make the ones that goes in the cluster area for the EG? I don't want to make them so visible. Also do they make a custom one to put them where the radio goes? I have heard that the japanease version came with the radio location down to where the cup holders are, if this is true then I can put the guages where the radio goes and my radio where the cup holder is. Or if you guys know of a place that makes them custom made for the EG that will be great. I don't want to take out my climate control , but Im willing to relocate the radio if I have to.
If anyone has pictures of their set up, 92-95 civic, guages location that will be great.
thank you guys.

·
d-series resident crybaby
88 Rex
1,002 Posts
Hmm i dunno if they make the frog ones, or the cluster ones, i plan on adding some to the area above the glove box sometime... when gauges are needed...

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
You mean the area where the air bag goes?

yeah, thats what he means.

the airbag depolys out of the top of the dash.

its very common for people to mount their guages there, but if you are looking for the stealth look then i dont think you will like that too much.

here is a link to a jdm console that you were talking about that replaces the usdm models where the cup holder is located.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-...ryZ33695QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i was thinking about buying one of these in the future, but the price is a bit high right now with my turbo build and everything that i have going on. these consoles look VERY clean and can make your interior stand out compared to other ej/eg interiors. you can probably make a block off plate to mount guages where your current radio location is.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Defi has a unit that puts 3 gauges in a DIN sized area: http://www.nippon-seiki.co.jp/defishop/product/din/din_top.html This seems like it would be hard to see also since you have to look down.

IMO, having the gauges on the other side of the dash is stupid(unless the gauge has a warning light or buzzer that gets your attention). You want the gauges to be around where you're looking so you don't have to turn your head to look at it. Best place for what you're looking for; I'd say is on the cluster itself(don't worry about using a bezel/shroud, like have a gauge inbetween the tachometer and speedometer and another gauge between the speedometer and fuel/temp gauge) or on top of the steering column. Putting them near the vent isn't a bad idea also, but might be a little bit harder to see.

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
vtecduck has a set of "frog eyes" over his gauge cluster. carbon fiber and looked real nice

Reactions: 4Door

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really don't like the idea of having the gauges to far, glove box or passenger side airbag location. they most be withing my reach and easily visible. So far the stock radio location and the stock climate control seems to me the best place to put them.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Also do they make a custome one to put them where the radio goes? I have heard that the japanease version came with the radio location down to where the cup holders are, if this is true then I can put the guages where the radio goes and my radio where the cup holder is.

exactly how I have mine. First you will need the "audio console", they are about $80. Then you will have an empty space where the radio used to be. I just took some plastic (about 1/8 thick) and a hole saw. I ran the hole saw in reverse, cut out 3 holes, and put my gauges in, viola! Ill send you a pic tonight.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
i have also seen some gauge pod that takes over the for cluster surround and adds two right there, or one with a tach and two gauges to the right of the wheel where the air vents are... ill try to find pics.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
i actually moved my stereo down where the cup holders were and i'm going to make a custom mount for the stock radio position for 2-3 gauges...

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Here is mine in my optional audio console. I havent had time to clean up the metal trim piece.

I will cut it out a little bit better and also I will try to painted black so that it can cover and match better but i get the idea. But I will rather have my radio there and have my guages up where I can see them. Im my opinion once you turn on the radio you don't look at it that much, but the guages while tunning, racing or driving you will have at least one eye on them.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts