Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 civic hatch
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this probably has been covered a couple of times and i apologize about the lack of pictures but read close and its pretty easy...

1. get your fabric...the thicker the better OR find a fabric with a "backing" on it, this makes it easier to glue without the glue coming thru the material (looks like shit)
2. get yourself a can of spray adhesive i used 3M's 77 spray adhesive
3. take your door panels off
4. locate what is holding your door inserts on (iin my case the 96-00 hatches have about 20 some million freaking plastic rivets which were melted on)
5. remove these above (whatever they may be) i had to use a simple pocket knife, a dremel tool probably would work better
6. remove door insert material (should peel right off)
7. sand the bare insert with fine grit sand paper, i used 220
8. clean surface and let dry
9. spray your cleaned and dry door insert with spray adhesive until fully covered (careful not to over saturate insert) let glue get tacky
10. cut fabric about an inch and half bigger than door insert
11. apply material and stretch to remove air and folds
12. trim material and tuck inside door insert
13. put door insert back on door panel ( i had to use screws and washers to get it to hold)
14. stand back and admire your work!!!
15. repeat steps for other door!

i hope this helped those of you who asked for a DIY on how i did my inserts

here is the link to my showcase forum of my work
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showcase/141410-custom-door-inserts-take-look.html#post2211660

sorry about the lack of picture cuz i wasnt planning on doing an DIY but people asked and i delivered!

ENJOY

post any pictures or extra steps of your work!

·
Registered
91 Civic 4dr
244 Posts
Repped! :bigok:

Awesome DIY.

Edit: Maybe I can use this for a headliner too

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I swear if i go to wrap another crx headliner and it sags because of following you and another guys advice & success you will get mailed a nice hot steaming pile of buffalo SHIT!

·
Registered
97 civic hatch
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
advance auto parts... go get the headliner spray when you do your headliner and as far as your bandana inserts id see if you can get another thicker material to tack it to just to make it tight then try it...shit even an old shirt would probably do

·
Registered
Civic
303 Posts
advance auto parts... go get the headliner spray when you do your headliner and as far as your bandana inserts id see if you can get another thicker material to tack it to just to make it tight then try it...shit even an old shirt would probably do
you mean like put a white tee down and just like staple the bandana to it?

·
Registered
'97 hatch
438 Posts
advance auto parts... go get the headliner spray when you do your headliner
You're talking about the mid-strength 3M stuff? (vs. the heavy duty version for the actual backing piece, or carpet/whatever)

I've been wondering what won't soak through but still tack fabric effectively.

Nice DIY write-up, btw. Info should come in handy for me soon.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
ya the glue is the biggest part and the tack up time of it.....i have never had a problem with super 77....or 90

i prefer the 90 but you have to make sure it sprays out in that stringy like consistancy....and stay away from the ones that say "headliner glue" they are basically like water...

also make sure when appling the fabric start from the middle and push out wards...helps to have an extra set of hands....and make sure to use a roller or side of your hand to push down all aeras of the fabric to ensure a proper bond.

·
Registered
97 civic hatch
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you mean like put a white tee down and just like staple the bandana to it?
yeah like glue or staple or even stitch the bandana to the the t-shirt or whatever fabric before wrapping anything, the t-shirt is only acting as a backing to keep the glue from soaking thru, trust me it looks like piss!

and as far as the 3m 77 spray glue it holds pretty damn good my buddy put his arm rest on with it a while back and still doesnt have any bubbles or seperation even after having his arm pressed on it all day

·
Registered
27 Posts
good DIY

·
Premium Member
95 Solvic, 93 dS si
694 Posts
as far as adhesives i would stay away from 33 or 77, i used them almost 2 years ago to completely rewrap my interior

I live in the NW, so we have fairly mild winters and summers, however even after prepping to the specs listed the adhesive has already started to let go, by the summer I am going to have to completely rewrap my interior again. Ill be using 90 this time. Also headliner adhesive doesnt work for shit, dont bother trying it.

·
Registered
97 civic hatch
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well yours is vinyl that shit you have to heat and stretch my buddy had to get his done at an upolstry shop cuz he couldnt get it to stick

·
Premium Member
95 Solvic, 93 dS si
694 Posts
actually had to do very little heating, and almost no stretching, its marine vinyl, nylon mesh backing, so it doesnt stretch for shit anyways haha.

·
Registered
98 Civic DX Coupe
3 Posts
i used super 77 on my door inserts and headliner, it's going on 3 years and holding strong. I wraped it in black tweed

·
Registered
97 civic hatch
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
my faith is in 3M 77 spray for the door panels but the headliner i got some "heavy duty headliner spray" and yes the crap works

·
Registered
AUSDM EG8 Sedan
457 Posts
this looks fantastic - i will be using the same type of material to re-trim the center of my bucket seats and my door trims =)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts