Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Lincoln Town Car
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought I was close to solving the last issues with the D16Y7 swap in my CRX.. Oh boy was I dumb... So i had everything put back together but the clutch pedal just goes right to the floor and has zero resistance. I pulled the trans off but the throwout bearing seems to work fine. What I then discovered is the flywheel seems to sit closer to the block than when it was on the D16A6. The flywheel/clutch/PP is from the D16A6 since the PP doesn't bolt up to the D16Y7 flywheel. When I put the D16Y7 flywheel on the A6 block, it sits further out (half centimeter or so) than the A6 flywheel on the Y7 block. It seems this is why the throwout bearing doesn't contact the PP.

So now my question is wtf do I do about this?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Odd...I had a Y7 in my 91 with A6 flywheel and clutch no problems.

Only thing I can think of is the 89 flywheels are different that 90-00. Maybe the 89 flywheels sit differently? But I doubt it.

Do you have any pictures?

·
Registered
Lincoln Town Car
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might have to wait until tomorrow for pictures. I guess one way I could go is use a pressure plate from a d16y7 and then just use the d16y7 flywheel. I used the a6 flywheel since the PP doesn't fit it.

·
Registered
Lincoln Town Car
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used the CRX trans/clutch/flywheel/PP. The Y7 when I bought it was just the block and head (with flywheel but the CRX pressure plate doesn't bolt to it)

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
then you should have no trouble man, the crankshafts of the d15s and d16s all share boltpatterns and thread pitches. worst case, you might use different bolts for different lengths.

sounds like something jsut needs a little wd-40 and tlc to fit right lol

·
Registered
Lincoln Town Car
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nono, the problem is the throwout bearing doesn't seem to reach the pressure plate... the flywheel sits closer to the block than it should be. Yeah the whole thing fit back together but it doesn't actually work.

I've pretty much decided to use the Y7 flywheel, gonna hunt down a pressure plate to match it.

edit: regarding the A6 PP not fitting the Y7 flywheel it isn't a matter of bolts not fitting, the bolt holes aren't even close to lining up

·
Registered
Lincoln Town Car
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PIC TIME!!!

A6 flywheel on the Y7 block:

Y7 flywheel on the A6 block:

The reason why I can't use the A6 pressure plate on the Y7 flywheel:

·
Registered
Lincoln Town Car
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so I picked up a 1990 pressure plate which fits the Y7 flywheel. I noticed by the wear on the flywheel that a 1989 size clutch was used on this engine since the 1990 clutch I also got obviously is larger. I find that pretty weird since the engine was a 98... I may end up using my 89 clutch as it is newer than the spare 1990 one I picked up with the pressure plate.

·
Registered
Lincoln Town Car
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK I need some advice here. I put the original Y7 flywheel back on, slapped on a 1990 pressure plate, and mounted the trans back to the engine. The result? Same problem. The throwout bearing lever has no resistance and I can hear it touching the pressure plate right at the end of its travel. Do I have to swap the throwout bearing with one from a 1990+? The trans is an 89.

I've got a jerry can and lighter on the floor next to the car. I'm running out of options here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts