Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
too many
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started fixing the Sunroof.
Start with a sand blaster after you have stripped the sunroof out...

Sandblasted all the rust spots

After that I used a Ball peen hammer to tap down the rusted areas (I only recommend doing this to cars that will never see water again....)

Body filler the slightly indented areas from tapping the holes down...

My choice of tools from Harbor Freight...17"X2" long flat surface for flat results. You can see high points visible with paint color change. 80Grit Paper

Sand Flat again. 80Grit Paper

Sealer and filler primer
Seal bare metal and Body filler. I use 2 different Colors so when I sand I can see more possible visible high spots as the colors are a guide coat to see how much material I am removing.

·
Registered
94 civic hatch
337 Posts
^^^ this is true..did the same thing to my prelude sunroof...and now its starting to bubble through again..So now ill fix it right, befor i paint it.

·
Registered
too many
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^ this is true..did the same thing to my prelude sunroof...and now its starting to bubble through again..So now ill fix it right, befor i paint it.
I can have sheet metal cut to the exact size to replace the top section but its a pain to separate the frame and top panel

·
Registered
'91 Crx Si
399 Posts
Nice job.
I do wish there was something else affordable in the aftermarket other than CF roof plugs.

·
Registered
431 Posts
if it is available to you, "fertan" is a very good rust stopper/converter

it is used widely here by oldtimer guys. after having applyed it
to your rust you may even wait for up to 6 months with painting
the metal.

have tried lots of (for sure not all) rust stoppers/converters and this one
is by far the best i ever used. (will last forever - at least significant
longer than 5 years ;) )

edit: as a sidenote - por15 is nice stuff BUT you have to apply it mainly to a rust-free ground - and the biggest
dis advantatge is that the outcome is influenced by many factors regarding prep work and even if
trying to get all prep work right the outcome may be not as expected if theres a awkward weather ;)

·
Premium Member
89 CRX Si
1,041 Posts
I would add a step post sandblast and pre-filler where you coat the piece in Ospho by Skyco in order to convert any rust that remains...with a spray bottle and a few well-placed, small holes, one can get pretty good coverage even on the backside/inside of the panel.

Or probably accomplish the same thing with the stuff from the post above.

This may not eliminate the possibility of the rust eventually coming back, but it will postpone it. Back when my Porsche 914 bug was out of control, this was SOP when cleaning up a tub - Porsche didn't rustproof the panels well prior to 75-76, so you could be guaranteed to find rust on just about every inner cavity that had not received a good coat of paint during assembly (and several panels that had received paint).

Otherwise a very nice DIY.

·
Premium Member
89 CRX Si
1,041 Posts
por15 if you want to inhibit rust. ;)
If you convert the existing rust first, yes. Putting POR15 over rusted metal (especially just one side of a rusted panel) will hide the rust for a while, but underneath the rust will still be working.

If you can properly coat both sides of the rusted panel, it will last awhile.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts