Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
aight heres the deal,i bought a 89 4dr EF for a beater with no tranny cause the one that was in it shattered! so i decide to put a Si tranny in it since i plan on getting rid of the d15b2 for minime bOOst later on,now heres the prob. with the clutch pushed in and the tranny in gear the car doesn't roll!!! i have no clue as to what the hell is goin on cause this is the first time i've dealt with a cable tranny.......please help out the nOOb

·
sub-sponsor
93 civic
5,175 Posts
you have to let your foot off the clutch for it to move buddy lol j/k check the axles

·
Registered
725 Posts
Taking it that e brake isn't on. Try jacking it up with both front wheels off the ground. Spin one wheel, the other should spin the oppisite way. If it doesn't then you may have a axel out of place, or a bad diff. Does the car drive and shift?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ryan89crx said:
do you know for sure that the tranny was even good before install?
:werd: got it in a trade-off!!!

KlownKiller said:
When you adjusted the cable you probably got it too tight. There should be about a 1/4 inch of slack in it. The adjuster is the fat plastic nut that sits on bracket above the clutch fork.
i'll try that and see if that works....

·
Registered
344 Posts
if your using the wrong axle/tranny combo, if might not work right. the tranny that i got is having problems, if the axle is completly in then it doesnt work, but if the axle is pushed out about an inch then it works just fine.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i think i found my problem,the tranny is out of an 88 si and the motor clutch/pp flywheel is an 89! i was reading on H-T that if ur using an 88 tranny on a 89 up motor u have to use the clutch from the year of the tranny...just wanted to make sure this is true before i go out and buy a clutch disc? also will i have to change anything else but the clutch.....ex.pp/flywheel?

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
sikassEK said:
well i think i found my problem,the tranny is out of an 88 si and the motor clutch/pp flywheel is an 89! i was reading on H-T that if ur using an 88 tranny on a 89 up motor u have to use the clutch from the year of the tranny...just wanted to make sure this is true before i go out and buy a clutch disc? also will i have to change anything else but the clutch.....ex.pp/flywheel?
well your tranny wouldnt have even mated to the motor if that was the issue. the splines are different so the input shaft would not have splined correctly with the clutch.

to make it work correct you will need an 88 clutch. the flywheel isnt much of an issue, it will just have a surface area too big for the clutch

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ryan89crx said:
well your tranny wouldnt have even mated to the motor if that was the issue. the splines are different so the input shaft would not have splined correctly with the clutch.

to make it work correct you will need an 88 clutch. the flywheel isnt much of an issue, it will just have a surface area too big for the clutch

well i found out from my good "employees" (friends) that when they were putting the tranny in,it went on half way and then they just put the bolts in the tranny and tightened them down to get it on the rest of the way! :(
so thas why i think that the prob might just be the clutch disc.......

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
sikassEK said:
well i found out from my good "employees" (friends) that when they were putting the tranny in,it went on half way and then they just put the bolts in the tranny and tightened them down to get it on the rest of the way! :(
so thas why i think that the prob might just be the clutch disc.......
wow, well you better get it off and check for any other damage they may have caused

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,429 Posts
$200 to go thru the tranny if it wasn't cracked.

Either the mounting ears are cracked, or the mainshaft was shoved out the outer casing.

I believe the clutch disc would be stronger and not collapsed.......

I'd all be worried if any damage was done to the thrust bearing and oil pump on the motor.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
another thing thas worrying me is that we were rocking the car to see maybe if it would engage the clutch or something whenever it was in gear withthe clutch pushed in! do u guys think that hurt anything by doin that?

well were gonna pull the tranny out tonight and see if any damage was done!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts