Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
civic is my DD
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a jpg I made of the correct part numbers for almost all of the bearings and oil seals in the 89-91 crx si transmission.

Sticky please!

I've built a few of these trannys now, so if anybody has questions, feel free to point them at me, I'm sure the gurus are tired of all the attention!

Attachments

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,579 Posts
well, why do you have a ZC drivers side axle seal?????

The correct info has already been posted, you just mucked it up:)

ALWAYS order bearings and seals using 92-95 as a standard.

·
Registered
civic is my DD
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the wrong oil seal because I thought it was correct, guess not! Do u have the correct part number so that I can correct it? I know the info is posted elsewhere i just couldnt find it very easily, so I wanted to make this jpg so that it will show up easier when n00bs search for it in the future. Just trying to help "plethorize" this tranny info!

Tom

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,579 Posts
but what is wrong with the scan of the invoice I put up that lists all the parts need for a OBX install?

·
Registered
civic is my DD
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's wrong with it? Well, i never came across it bc its talking about an OBX install and I'm just talking about a rebuild. I'm sorry if u feel threatened or something, u should chill and help me correct my info so that there can be another source of this info that shows up without looking for obx install info. Explain to me one good reason we shouldn't double up this info and give it slightly different search tags!!!!!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,579 Posts
What's wrong with it? Well, i never came across it bc its talking about an OBX install and I'm just talking about a rebuild. I'm sorry if u feel threatened or something, u should chill and help me correct my info so that there can be another source of this info that shows up without looking for obx install info. Explain to me one good reason we shouldn't double up this info and give it slightly different search tags!!!!!
Well, your info is wrong, thats more of a headache that I'm trying to correct.

There is already two or three threads taking care of this, you go posting bad info and then we waste time trying to correct.

Will you be around in 2-3 years when someone drags this misinfo back up and questions why their drivers side axle leaks because they used YOUR incorrect info????

Long lasting effects.

Just look into the 1/2 tooth cam timing error of a D16 cam into a D15 which I figured out 10 years ago and we are still discussing it.

·
Registered
civic is my DD
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im more than willing to repost the image with the correct drivers side oil seal part number and edit the post, its only off by one letter, super easy to change. And yes i will probably be around for quite some time. I first got the rx7 bug and have been on the rx7club forum for 6 years now, and now ive been bit by the honda bug, and the only two cars I have are an rx7 and a civic. Now that ive been starting to mess with the civic i will become a more frequent forum user. I'll be fixing the image shortly and editing the original post.

When I have the correct part #'s, are you still going to have a problem with me doubling up the availability of this info on the forum/net?

If needed I will ask a mod to delete the post and repost with only the correct information and no replies to the contrary so that no one will get confused. Threads and posts aren't permanent.

·
Registered
153 Posts
delete your jpeg and this post
bone's word is all i need....
im not on his cock i just already have my trust in him. dont want to trust a noob trying to make a name....

udubrx7--->if your good at making jpeg than you should of asked bone for his info and let him know what you want to do instead of joining a fourm and posting wrong info.. FAIL....join honda-tech, that is why it is there....

·
Registered
civic is my DD
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bone, THANK YOU for posting your image with the correct info. Now this info is in more than one place! But where are all the other parts numbers for the other bearings and perishables inside the tranny like the speedo gear??

All I've been trying to do is get the correct information out there so that the people who are looking for it can find it easier. POSTS CAN BE FUCKING CHANGED!

I don't know if anybody else noticed but I also included OTHER PARTS IN THE TRANNY like countershaft bearings and the speedo gear, which nobody else mentioned. If you want to crack your tranny open and rebuild it, why the fuck would you just replace a couple of the bearings and seals?????

89rexsi - speak for yourself n00b

I am not trying to take credit for info out from under transex or post wrong information. All I'm trying to do is help, and you CAN FUCKING EDIT THREADS AND POSTS!!!! Does nobody know about the edit function????

I was hoping this was going to be a cool forum, but it looks like its just like the rx7club forum, a bunch of fucking insecure assholes who think that they are the coolest fucker alive because they can flame somebody for TRYING TO HELP OUT, and being willing to CHANGE ALL THE INFO POSTED TO THE CORRECT INFO.

I mean really, all I'm trying to do is fucking help, I gave bad info, so lets get the GOOD INFO out there.

Bone if you can give me good 92-95 part numbers for the countershaft end bearings and speedo gear, I'll add those to the parts in your invoice and make a big easy to read jpg that we can toss around to all the little honda forums.

·
Registered
153 Posts
noob, yes i am
That is why im here to get help from people who have been there and done that..

majestic has all the part numbers you need
if you cant find them well you must have problems...

as before said earlier order for 92-95 (ex big bearing or dx small bearing)

·
Registered
civic is my DD
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok.

Just FYI though, for the 91 crx si - majestic and Honda seem to have some incorrect bearing part numbers.

I'm makng a new jpg with bones invoice part #s and the majestic part numbers for the other stuff like speedo gear special bearings etc

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
ok.

Just FYI though, for the 91 crx si - majestic and Honda seem to have some incorrect bearing part numbers.
They do... or at least they show the part numbers for the small bearing transmisiion only (so they could be right, depending upon your application)

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,579 Posts
What numbers are wrong before you go screwing this up with more bad info.

REREAD the third line of my first post here.

Why do I have a felling this is gonna end up being 5 pages of useless info???????

·
Registered
civic is my DD
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the clarification, I sources my bearing part numbers through ntn by their measurements so I wasn't sure why/how it was wrong in the Honda database

·
Registered
civic is my DD
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I just said they were wrong if u look them up for a 91 crx si as an FYI.

IIRC the honda database thinks that the 91 crx si differential bearings are the ones from the small bearing case. But like you said, if you order based on the 92-95 honda database info the part numbers will be correct for the big bearing case.

·
Registered
civic is my DD
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
If anybody cares, I'm taking all of the correct part numbers for the bearings according to Bone's invoice and cross referencing them with two other reputable bearing mfg co's, SKF and Timken. SKF and Timken bearings are more widely available in the US because of their use in industrial machines etc.

Try doing a google search for your city and state and "Motion Industries" or "Applied Industrial Technologies." I wouldn't be too surprised if you've got one within 25 miles or so. If you cant find those places just search for "bearing supply." If you have a local bearing supply company, chances are you could show up with SKF or Timken part #'s and leave on the spot with the bearings you need, for around the same price as they would be from honda or cheaper. Google SKF and Timken if you aren't sure about the quality of their products. SKF is a leading Japanese bearing mfg, and Timken in one of the largest in the US (they just acquired Torrington Co).

If anybody is worried about cross referencing part numbers, they get very specific and it is easy to select the exact bearing based on bore, ID, OD, width, tolerance class, type, and cage/shield selection. I am looking up the NTN part numbers for the stock bearings in their catalog and cross referenced them with the exact same specs for SKF and Timken. Timken also provides a large bearing gearbox rebuild specific to Honda civics, and it seems that many europeans favor SKF bearings over the NTN ones for rebuilds.

- - side note: I also found large bearing rebuild kits from "Transtar" that appear to come with NTN bearings

- - EDIT: Timken also sells "Kwik Sleeve" kits for re-sleeving counterbores and shafts.

I am in no way trying to say that you should use another type of bearing than what honda suggests, NTN, I'm just trying to make sure everyone out there sees the options they've got, especially when they need to get the new bearings ASAP to get back on the road. I'm going to be trying out some SKF differential bearings, I'll let you all know how they work out, I got them for $20 a piece from amazon.com with $20 for next day air, and they arrived in 2 days.

Most ball bearings have a 4 digit cross reference number on them. If you look at the NTN diff bearings their reference number is "6208" (reference number of the small bearing box diff bearings is "6207"). This also is reflected in the part number, such as the SKF part number for the diff bearing 6208RSZJEM. All of the letter designations after the 4 numbers refer to things such as: cage style, ring modification, internal clearance, tolerance, special camfer, etc. If the bearing doesnt have any special modifications such as a snap ring groove or taper (IIRC only the countershaft end bearing on the L3 tranny, and one diff bearing on the 88 and earlier models has a ring groove) then you can definitely get away with using any bearing of the same reference number as a quick fix until you can get your hands on the ones with the right cage/shield design.

There are a few exceptions to the 4 digit reference number rule however... Honda sourced their bearings from NTN in the 80s when they were building the car, and stocked a ton of them since they planned to use them in the future. Since they were sourced and stocked so long ago, the majority of the bearings carry an obsolete designation number stamped into the races. For example, the ISB bearing carries the designation "SCO5A61" but the current NTN designation for this part is "6305SPL." But as long as you go deep with your sourcing and cross referencing of the part numbers, you will find the ones that actually show up in the current databases.

I'll post everything up when its all finished, in the mean time if anybody wants to double check my cross referencing abilities here is a SKF USA part number: 6208RSZJEM . It is for the Differential bearings interchangeable for the NTN bearing 6200 series honda part number 91005-PL3-B04. Looks to me like the SKF bearings might be even better than the NTN ones....... SKF also makes a different 6208 load bearing thrust bearing which is indifferent to the inner or outer race being slightly misaligned: 6208-2RSJ. That might be good for the crazies that want to try and install their bearings with a hammer lol

now i just need to source some mag-lev bearings....... hmmmmm....................

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,579 Posts
Timken bearings won't fit right, will require custom shims.

Transtar..I've mentioned them here, "acerl" I believe is the ebay seller that I've mentioned.

·
Registered
civic is my DD
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Timken bearings won't fit right, will require custom shims.

Come on dude..... that is just bananas.

You believe that a large supply company like Timken could manufacture something that for the same reference number and clearance value as other bearings, didn't have the same dimensions? If so, Timken would go out of business faster than family owned furniture stores. You think they could compete with SKF, NTN, BCA, etc if they made bearings that didn't meet their specs??????

There are lots of things to consider when cross referencing bearings, and if the bearing you cross referenced has the same reference number as the bearing you're replacing, the only way it wouldn't fit is if you SELECT THE WRONG CLEARANCE VALUE, attempt to install it improperly, or have a supremely fucked shaft or counterbore.

NOBODY is going to make a bearing that doesn't meet its specs.

As far as Transtar goes - I'm super glad that you mentioned them here before, "Acerl" I believe is the ebay seller that I'm super glad that you mentioned.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts