Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some people are saying I'm doing it all wrong. I pulled a b-series swap and put in a, dare I say it? A single cam! Blasphemy! Well not really. I just want the cheapest HP I can buy. The set-up is fairly simple, straight foward, cookie-cutter recipe for a 400hp crx. I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel, although I do have some ideas for the future.

Here's a couple pics of the car with the b16/gs-r tranny and a 50 shot. It was originally y-49 car, and long story short, I couldn't stand it.
before:

After:

The car doesn't look quite this good now... more on that later.

On to the motor...
Vitara superkit with a set of custom lengths from the first batch! Thats right, 2007 I believe it was.

A hyper-active 4yr old with a tooth brush and some simple green can work wonders!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
For some reason I decided to paint the motor cummins beige in honor of the holset turbo. I kinda regret it after getting it in the car. Oh well.... moving along now.

Then, I was trying to be a hard ass and show off for this dude that wanted a ride. I was going to do a little burnout with him in the car. The tires were cold and I found myself bouncing the rev limiter in first with smoke rolling in the windows immediately(I never do this stuff anymore). Without a second thought, I no lift shifted into second at about 7800 and BOOM!!!! Shit hit the ground... I had to go back and sweep the chunks of metal off the street and winch the car into the garage.

....and the carnage.

There's another hole about that size behind the flywheel too.

Last shot of the b16 in the crx with wiring mess that was.

Had the motor out and sitting in the floor in front of the car in just over 1hr by myself with no power tools. New personal best!

While the motor was out I decided to do a mild wire tuck. Here's all the mess that eventually got stuffed behind the glove box.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

A little solder and shrink tubing later...

Factory grounds with some other junk.
Before:

After:
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

The ground is new 4awg wrapped around under the motor mount and attached the chassis. Started wire was also the same size and hid nicely.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
...and here's the "almost done" shot. I still have to decide what to do with the fuel filter and lines. My main focus is function, I just want it to be clean. The gansta lean half core kills the looks but that what I'm going to have to do for the time being.

Intercooler mock up:

I managed to get all my piping in one piece per side, no couplers, and I may regret this, but had a friend of mine weld all the joints. I also made all of this out of a generic ebay 2.5" IC kit. Even had a bit left over to make the bov flange and pipe out of.

Decided to stick the BOV behind the bumper cover because..... well, just because. lol.

The car runs, but not well. I'm using a chipped pm6 (OBD0) with an unknown map on it lol. It idles, but the lack a vacuum due to this cam is making it stupid rich. 10:1 rich. I was planning on running my old 13g with dsm 450's on turbo edit for a bit (attn Acid Beaver lol). I have a set of precision 1000cc's and plan on running e85 eventually.

I still have to run my oil lines, weld up my drain and then it'll be on to getting a basemap on it so I can limp it to my tuner. I'll be updating with some high res pics later on when I find the time. I'm gonna try to get some work done this weekend.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Coming along nicely. Did you do the welds on the ic pipes? The look nice. And sucks about the transmission bu,t hey you learn not to show off :p .

My friend did the same thing was showing off n burning out. Then he went to drive off and his axle poped out and the ball joint broke n all grinded on the ground for about 5feet. Then it started to pour down so he had to fix itin the rain while I guiding him throgh it over the phone.

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
Can't wait till my son hits 4......one more year then im putting that mo'fo to work in the garage. lol

Nice job project is looking sweet!

·
Registered
1999 Civic hatch
988 Posts
Why did the transmission blow up? I understand you shifted into second hard but I dont get it, people do that all day long.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I appreciate the comments. This thing has been a long time coming and I have high hope for it.

Coming along nicely. Did you do the welds on the ic pipes? The look nice.
I dont have a tig. I had a friend of mine weld it for me.

Yellow crx, and you're cursed forever, lol. Best of luck on the nbuild, looks very promising.
LOL.... you wouldnt believe all the bad luck I've had. Im sure its unrelated.

Can't wait till my son hits 4......one more year then im putting that mo'fo to work in the garage. lol

Nice job project is looking sweet!
Yeah my boy is my side kick. He'll ask me to open the garage just so he can play in there. He loves to smash hotwheels with my vise.

Why did the transmission blow up? I understand you shifted into second hard but I dont get it, people do that all day long.
Your guess is as good as mine. It just decided to give this time.

Looking good man the piping is pretty sweet good way to eliminate any coupler issues now the question is how easy will it be to get on. Keep up the good work and I like the color of the block
This was kinda my mentality. No more blowing joints apart. I can actually slide it right through with no problem.

1 - 20 of 277 Posts