Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I have a 91 CRX DX that still has the original D15B2 engine in it. I want to drop in a vtec sohc, just not sure which one or what obd to change to. I am also thinking of doing the whole long block and axles so I can put in the hydro tranny for whatever block I am looking at using. My goals are to have a good street power car that can handle a super charger a few years down the road.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hydro trans doesnt bolt into an EF chassis, either use your stock DX trans or a cable SI

i would convert to obd1 and run a p28
I thought that if I got the axles from whatever civic the engine comes from it would bolt in? The reason I am asking is because I have had nothing but trouble from my tranny, been replaced once already, and i heard good things about the hydro ones. Is it really that hard to use in my crx? Thanks bro.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
I thought that if I got the axles from whatever civic the engine comes from it owuld bolt in? The reason I am asking is because I have had nothing but trouble from my tranny, been replaced once already, and i heard good things about the hydro ones. Is it really that hard to use in my crx? Thanks bro.
unless you are a good fabricator, its not going to happen. there are no conversion kits for this swap either

just get a cable SI

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So i could just swap out the cylinder head and not worry about the axles etc right? Though I don't know how good a D15B2 block is compared to the others.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
If you go with a VTEC motor like a Z6, Y8, or D15B go OBD-1. If you decide to go with a no-tec motor stay OBD-0 and keep it easy.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I have a 91 CRX DX that still has the original D15B2 engine in it. I want to drop in a vtec sohc, just not sure which one or what obd to change to. I am also thinking of doing the whole long block and axles so I can put in the hydro tranny for whatever block I am looking at using. My goals are to have a good street power car that can handle a super charger a few years down the road.
Id keep the B2.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I did the same swap you are thinking about. I have a 91 dx crx. The thing is mine was an auto so I went with a 91' si crx tranny and obd1. Find a nice condition Si tranny and d16z6 longblock. go with an obd1 distributor and a rywire harness.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I should note here that mine is also an automatic, and I'm actually planning on keeping it that way. If I don't do this swap I may also just do an mpfi conversion and do a full vtec swap when I have some more cash handy.

I think for the mpfi I need: custom harness, Si resistor box and intake manny with injectors rails etc, and an automatic PG7 ecu from an 88-89 integra.

I also heard that a civic fourd door tb works well because it has room to bolt up the cable from the automatic and the si tb doesn't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.