Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got these corner weighting scales at work a few months ago and havent had the chance to use them. Today was slow so i got to play with them today. Raising and Lowering the perch a turn or two could change the load on all 4 corner 1-50 lbs, or even more. After 3 hours of playing with the scales and my ground controls. These are my findings, what i remember off the top of my head.

1989 Crx Si, 2418lbs. Ground Controls, W/ Kybs, Driver. Full tank of gas, full interior, sub, d16z6, no power steering or ac.

Weight distribution is 58% Front - 42% Rear

The goal when corner weighting is to get the RF - LR and LF - RR weight ratio to 50% - 50%.

I only could get 52% - 48%, until i realized that i had the rear scales switches around. By then i had to go home. I said fark it and just dumped my car. Just gonna align my car tomorrow.

Next time i get it done i want to get camber kits front and rear, get my turbo kit in, sway bars, semi gut the car- rear batter relocation. Hopefully it makes a difference. Well its free, nothing beats free. After that its time to hit some track days....

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
You don't really want 50/50 in a FWD, you want something more like 60/40.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
sadly, all that work for nothing.......

because if he was doing the wrenching in HIS car......who was sitting in the driver seat?????

DOH!

PS: me at 225-240 happen to = the average BMW driver....so I get to sit in the BMW while Bill does the cornerweighting :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cant really adjust that unless i add ballasts to the rear, something i dont want to do. The crx is already 58/42 so its pretty close, maybe when i get the turbo kit on with a lighter muffler on it'll get better. The 50/50 im trying to get is left side car weight = right side car weight so its symmetrical.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sadly, all that work for nothing.......

because if he was doing the wrenching in HIS car......who was sitting in the driver seat?????

DOH!

PS: me at 225-240 happen to = the average BMW driver....so I get to sit in the BMW while Bill does the corner weighting :)
Ha ha good stuff. I'm at 225 myself. It wasn't to hard to set up. when the car is on the scales i am in it. then we roll it off onto blocks of the wood the same height, jack it up on the two post, adjust the coil over. takes about 5 minutes to do a change and get a reading. It was the mathematical stuff that was giving me a headache. Any tips?

·
Registered
'91 Honda Civic Si
635 Posts

You want 50/50 cross weights in all types of cars. VERY different than F/R weight distribution. I'm actually shocked that his car has 58/42, but that could be due to a full tank of gas, sub and a spare tire/jack still in the back of the car. Also, the weight of the car is damned high. I'd be happy with a 60/40 split and ecstatic if it ended up at 58/42.

Cross weights are RF and LR when compared to LF and RR. You want those 2 weights to be identical.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
OK I had misread the post; thought he was saying he's aiming for 50/50 FR ratio.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Wow, porky 'rex!

Make sure you disconnect the swaybars and shim any preload out when you hook them back up. If you don't do that, don't even bother corner weighting the car.

·
Registered
'91 Honda Civic Si
635 Posts
Wow, porky 'rex!

Make sure you disconnect the swaybars and shim any preload out when you hook them back up. If you don't do that, don't even bother corner weighting the car.

You have PM.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
How is his rex porky???

2138 factory weight + 225 driver = 2363 lbs

plus 55 lbs for sub, heavier motor, heavier suspension, and likely heavier wheels.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Well, I missed that the weight was with the driver. My own fault. I'm used to reading weights with the driver disclaimer thrown in. For example, if I were to post my car's weight with driver I'd post it as 93 Civic Si, 2250lbs w/driver. I missed it buried in the suspension.

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,444 Posts
How is his rex porky???

2138 factory weight + 225 driver = 2363 lbs

plus 55 lbs for sub, heavier motor, heavier suspension, and likely heavier wheels.
god, i can really wait to see what the weight of my sedan is gonna be. he should be happy with 2300!:eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts