Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i'm kind a trying to get some ideas on this topic. i see they make cooling plates for new models cars but not for the 88-91 crx/civic. i'm kind a thinking of making one for my civic. i'm trying to get some feedback on the pro and cons. i'm looking into a simliar design like the on on this DSM. granted it will not be carbonfiber but more sheet metal. function over form.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
that would be nice

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
I need a heating plate for mine, lol. Full size rad, stock thermostat, no cooling fan, and I can barely keep it at operating temp. Every time I get on it, the temp drops because of the amount of air cooling the rad.

With a half-rad, I could definitely justify it though.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'll keep you posted maybe if cheap enough i'll send you one free. just pay for the shipping.

·
Registered
'91 CRX Si
2,158 Posts
I need a heating plate for mine, lol. Full size rad, stock thermostat, no cooling fan, and I can barely keep it at operating temp. Every time I get on it, the temp drops because of the amount of air cooling the rad.

With a half-rad, I could definitely justify it though.
I used to duct tape over a piece of cardboard and zip tie that to half of my full rad before I went turbo

and to Remoer. the 88-91s dont have very much of a gap to cover.

the stock t-bar/hoodlatch piece covers 95% only a few cracks to worry about, but if you notice we dont have as big of a gap as alot of cars

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
I used to duct tape over a piece of cardboard and zip tie that to half of my full rad before I went turbo
Ya, I've been saying since fall that I'm going to do that. Now here we are, almost through winter and I haven't gotten around to it, lol. Maybe I'll do it this weekend, and install a fan while I'm at it.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Remoer. the 88-91s dont have very much of a gap to cover.

the stock t-bar/hoodlatch piece covers 95% only a few cracks to worry about, but if you notice we dont have as big of a gap as alot of cars
yeah i know... but still it's a thought.

·
Registered
'91 CRX Si
2,158 Posts
yeah i know... but still it's a thought.
you could make it look nice, but i don't know if you'd see lower ect's

i would give you :TU: :TU: if you made one that looked good!

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you could make it look nice, but i don't know if you'd see lower ect's

i would give you :TU: :TU: if you made one that looked good!
thank mang can you now pick me up on your short bus cause you made me feel special. lol. j/k.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
i made one for my ED that had a half rad and it dropped coolant temps by 5-10C.

if i had a plate to block off the rest of the opening into the engine bay im sure it would have even done better!

·
Registered
97 Honda Civic
1,784 Posts
Any way to force air through the radiator is a good thing. Just the same as having a fan shroud, but obviously less important.

It certainly won't hurt and with a little sheetmetal it's not gonna be a waste of money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts