Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys I hava a crx 87 si d15 or ew3 sohc 12 valves 1.5, so my question is that the las time we run the car un the track at 17 psi of boost we blown the pistons, so what can I do to run more psi? do I need to upgrade the pistons, I maen if there are any forged piston available, I already replace the broken pistons and go to a junk yard and put a used pistons, and adjust the boost controller to 9 psi of boost and runs great, so I am preparing the car for more power, but I need know if there is any option that I can do for the car to run more than 17 psi, here is the list of mods that I have in the crx
turbo from a 300zx turbo 1984 T3
vortech FMU
turbonetics raptor bov
ford probe gt intercooler
msd sci ignition
blaster coil msd
accel wires
cold spark plugs accel
port and polished
apex-i SAFC
injectors of a DSM 450cc
fuel pump vortech t-rex
fuel pressure regulator
cluth kit heavy duty r4 ACT race clutch
adjustable cam gear focuz

I want to make more mods to my car like camshaft upgrade, forged pistons, etc, if someone know a store please let me know I will put videos of the crx and pic.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
www.redpepperracing.com has a lot of info on the 1G CRX. Another idea is to swap in a DOHC ZC and build it to handle the boost.

·
Ferio inspired
2,441 Posts
projectwinturbo said:
turbo from a 300zx turbo 1984 T3

ford probe gt intercooler

fuel pump

DSM 440s

cluth kit heavy duty

I want to make more mods to my car like camshaft upgrade, forged pistons, etc, if someone know a store please let me know I will put videos of the crx and pic.
i have a T3, same intercooler, Hondata, and a walboro. you need to serioulsy lose the FMU i'm at 15spi on stock internals and no problems to date:beer:

·
Banned
443 Posts
1) lose the FMU

2) D15A3/EW3 pistons are notorious piles of shit

3) The D15A3/EW3 has the thickest factory Honduh sleeves I've ever seen.

4) Other commonplace OEM pistons will run you into valve relief problems - as in lack of proper ones. It's not a huge deal with some of the later D-series, but it might be for you.

5) I dunno *anything* about the interchangeability of the D15A bottom end with later stuff, but. The D16A1/ZC head will bolt right on (changes exhaust bolt pattern), and from there it gets theoretical.... there is a good chance you can finagle B16 rods in place of the stockers, similar to LS rods into D16. GX piston, if the valve reliefs match up, is an easy install since it has 21mm wristpin already.

·
Registered
344 Posts
you can get the cylinders bored out to 75mm, and you can get aftermarket d series pistons. the d16a1 head will fit, but its not fully bolt on. there is a problem timing it, and you have to get a couple things machined.
go to www.redpepperracing.com to look for some answers. if you want to know about the d16a1 head, search for "hydra".

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys I have a lot of pics of the car and some videos, by the way I want to keep the original motor because the b series are very expensive and when I blown the motor my brother and I replace all the parts damaged in a half of day and is very very very cheap, but like I said guys I will show you pics and videos because the most important thing is your opinion

·
Registered
108 Posts
so J.Davis....since we are on the subject...i have a 85 crx with a d16a1 (vacum advance) and its a good all motor car...runs 13.0's all day long...but i want to boost it. i want to use turbo edit but not sure what i need to do to get turbo edit going. im using a pg7 ecu right now....so im thinking that i can switch over to elect advance and use a chipped pm6 right?

·
Registered
344 Posts
FAST2CAMCIV said:
so J.Davis....since we are on the subject...i have a 85 crx with a d16a1 (vacum advance) and its a good all motor car...runs 13.0's all day long...but i want to boost it. i want to use turbo edit but not sure what i need to do to get turbo edit going. im using a pg7 ecu right now....so im thinking that i can switch over to elect advance and use a chipped pm6 right?

yea, youll have to switch to elec. advance in order to use that. get a chipped pm6 (easiest to find and chip), and youll be set.

·
Registered
344 Posts
projectwinturbo said:
thanks guys I have a lot of pics of the car and some videos, by the way I want to keep the original motor because the b series are very expensive and when I blown the motor my brother and I replace all the parts damaged in a half of day and is very very very cheap, but like I said guys I will show you pics and videos because the most important thing is your opinion

you can get either a d16a1 out of an 86-87 integra which is bolt-in (113 HP), or you can get an 88-89 integra d16a1 (wiring changes 118 HP and better tunability). i have the 89 integra motor, and i can kill b series all day.

with that motor, you can also get zc cams, or send the cams out to get reground for some killer power. you could do that or just get a 2g zc head for even more power. with those motors, you can also use any d series pistons/rods combo you want.
the 88-89 teg pistons have a very high dome with a 9.5:1 camp ratio (still good for turbo). the 86-87 integra has a lower domed piston (i think 9.2:1)and the strongest/thickest oem d series rod you can get. if you go through with this and decide to get aftermarket pistons, you have to get ones with some sorth of dome because if they are flat topped or even dished, you will have an extremely LOW compression ratio. this is due to the combustion chamber in the d16a1 head.
if you use the d16a1 pistons in any other d series motor, they will have very high compression.

if you don't want to swap motors, then you can send out your cam to get reground. you may not be able to push that much boost in that motor, because i don't think anyone makes any aftermarket pistons/rods for it. the cylinders will hold it, but the pistons/rods are kindof weak.
the onlly other mods i can tell you about are for a naturally aspirated motor, but you can get about 160+ HP out of that ew3.

oh, and, sorry for rambling

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
staticchmbr said:
you can get either a d16a1 out of an 86-87 integra which is bolt-in (113 HP), or you can get an 88-89 integra d16a1 (wiring changes 118 HP and better tunability). i have the 89 integra motor, and i can kill b series all day.

with that motor, you can also get zc cams, or send the cams out to get reground for some killer power. you could do that or just get a 2g zc head for even more power. with those motors, you can also use any d series pistons/rods combo you want.
the 88-89 teg pistons have a very high dome with a 9.5:1 camp ratio (still good for turbo). the 86-87 integra has a lower domed piston (i think 9.2:1)and the strongest/thickest oem d series rod you can get. if you go through with this and decide to get aftermarket pistons, you have to get ones with some sorth of dome because if they are flat topped or even dished, you will have an extremely LOW compression ratio. this is due to the combustion chamber in the d16a1 head.
if you use the d16a1 pistons in any other d series motor, they will have very high compression.

if you don't want to swap motors, then you can send out your cam to get reground. you may not be able to push that much boost in that motor, because i don't think anyone makes any aftermarket pistons/rods for it. the cylinders will hold it, but the pistons/rods are kindof weak.
the onlly other mods i can tell you about are for a naturally aspirated motor, but you can get about 160+ HP out of that ew3.

oh, and, sorry for rambling
thanks man let me try how many hp can make with the ew3, I plan to install alcohol injection, I will race the car this october 30th I will show you pics and some videos to show every body the project and the time of 1/4.

·
Registered
344 Posts
it costs a bit of money, and the parts are hard to find. this being because they are all disontinued..but by the time you are done, you will have $160+hp, and 12-13:1 compression. the problem is you have to convert it to carb..which could be a pain in the ass.

if you go to redpepperracing.com, the have the answers. basically, you have to get an 84-87 crx dx block, bore outh the cylinders to 75mm, put 86-87 or 88-89 teg pistons in, get a delta tri flow cam (i think thats the brand), mill your si head just a little bit, get dual mikuni carbs, and your set

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
staticchmbr said:
it costs a bit of money, and the parts are hard to find. this being because they are all disontinued..but by the time you are done, you will have $160+hp, and 12-13:1 compression. the problem is you have to convert it to carb..which could be a pain in the ass.

if you go to redpepperracing.com, the have the answers. basically, you have to get an 84-87 crx dx block, bore outh the cylinders to 75mm, put 86-87 or 88-89 teg pistons in, get a delta tri flow cam (i think thats the brand), mill your si head just a little bit, get dual mikuni carbs, and your set

actually I turbocharger the crx, so last time I blown the motor and all the pistosn was broken because I was running at 17 psi of boost then we replace that parts and and later run the car at 8 to 9 max pis of boost and the car is making 14.50 at 110 mph not bad for the car, right now I am working to show you pics of the car and motor.
look here are two pages about projects of crx turbocharger check ir out
http://www.hondabook.com/turbo.htm
http://www.geocities.com/hodakaman1/turbo.html

·
Banned
443 Posts
14.5 at 110? Heh. 12's are just a few suspension parts and some tires away.

UHM, as far as pre-OBD0 to OBD0 conversions, TJ Schmidt had a nice write up as to which wires to swap around and which to add. I don't know his current website, but would be VERY surprised if he wasn't registered here. His usual screenname is "-TJ" last I knew, and he lives in Denver... search engine fodder. Super nice guy.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
staticchmbr said:
heres mine..crappy pics:

what't up men what is your time in 1/4 mile, and here is my project of my crx first generation, please let me know what you think, your opinion is very important for me here is the link.
www.exeding.com/lamoska

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
in the pic that is zc. You can tell becuase where the spark plug wires are it sinks in way further then an ls.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts