Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know from my last thread on picking one up some of you guys have these so listen up I need some help! My wife's 97 CRV has always had a little idle issue since we got it, I changed plugs and rotor but not the cap or wires (cap I bought was boxed wrong just never got around to putting new one on). It used to crank and either idle way up or way low until it warmed, then would surge slowly. At this point, it would try to idle up to 1500-2000 depending on load from AC and electrical stuff when in neutral.

The other day, I pulled the IACV off and it was pretty gummed up so I cleaned it out and checked every hose for vacuum leak. I also sprayed brake cleaner around all the injector grommets and intake gasket area with no change in idle. I adjusted the idle screw as low as it would go and it would barely dip below 1000rpm. I don't know where my timing light is, so I eyeballed the dizzy and it was fully advanced. I rolled it back to about the middle of the adjustment range and played with the idle screw to get it to idle around 800rpm with no load, and it probably dips to about 600-700 with A/C.

Problem now is on start-up, especially a cold-start situation, it idles way down like it's about to die until it's up to temp. It's also still surging once warm, but around the aforementioned 800rpm. This may be normal, but it definitely feels like there's a large increase in power with constant throttle around 2000-2200rpm.

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1 - 5 of 5 Posts