Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello d-maniacs! I need some advice/help identifying tranny trouble.

Long story short, I had to shift into 5th gear in 1/4 mile just right before finish line. I tried to shift in two runs but kinda missed/couldn't put it in at 8000rpm. After this 2nd attempt when going back to start area, I tried to shift into 5th it went in with crunch. I stopped, pressed clutch again and could only shift with crunch even at idle.

First idea was l broke 5th gear shift fork. I had broken 3rd gear forks many times so I know symptoms.

I took apart my tranny and big was my surprise fork was intact. So I inspected 5th gearset, synchro sleeve and ring and couldn't find problem I was looking for. Synchro sleeve and gear tooth was worn out a little as I had to travel home 750 miles and I had to shift in 5th obviously. But not that much worn that woud cause crunch at idle. My suspect was maybe synchro ring spring had popped out. I assembled everything and hoped for the best...

Crunch at idle was gone, but it crunches when driving no matter how gently I try to shift.

I didn't take photos of sleeve and gearset tooth, but you have to believe me it was not that bad. So what did I brake/bend???

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Aquafina, for joining thread. I was hoping you or Bense would see it.

I don't think any of picture would help. I had new Syncrotech master carbon kit installed. New sleeves, synchros and bearings. And I didn't have any problem till this mis-shift...

One thing I am thinking now, could s20 aluminum shift fork be bent a little? I have experience of broen 3/4th gear forks, but for 5th it's so much beefier that maybe it could bend instead of crack?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,290 Posts
PL3 and S20 5th forks are the same, and pics DO help as Andrew (Bense), Chris (Aquafina) and I might see things the normal person doesn't see.

Worn IGB, aka Interlock Guide Bolt which sets all the shift gates and can effect the shifts. Let alone the shift arm A and the cage.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And of course you Mr. Transzex 🙂

I will take apart tranny in the winter and inspect/measure it with attention. I would normally take a pictures if can not solve problem on my own, but half of my Civic was out of garage while I took out transmission and I had to put it back the same day.

Interlock bolt is definitely one thing to look at as I have problems with getting it in place every time I assemble my transmission. Sometimes it sees force of "proffessional" work.

I will bring this back as soon as tranny will be out again! Thanks guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts