Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what the issue is with me and camshafts.

I had an OEM cam sent to Crower for some specifications and a regrind. This was back in October 2011. After an email exchange, I had a seller ship a cam to Crower as per Dave Crower's instructions. Dave got back to me with the cam specifications and some regrind options some time later. Didn't receive any reply since December 2011. Kept emailing him sporadically, without any reply.

Sent an email to Crower's general customer service about 2 weeks ago and got a prompt reply. Sent him my previous correspondence with Crower and various details. Turns out the cam core is lost and they have no record of my email exchange.

This thread will be updated as the issue moves further. Hoping to resolve the problem with these guys. The service is professional, FWIW. I haven't been called a thief yet :bigok:

It sucks because I have to correspond with people over email. Some companies just cannot do it properly.

·
Registered
'97 crv
1,467 Posts
that sucks man. hope they can find your shit. If Crower starts to throw a hissy fit and being a b(isi)tch let us know.

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not for the cam I sent. They didn't have any grinds available for it, so they asked me to send it in and we would work out a suitable custom cam profile for my purpose after going through various details like duration, lift, LSA, etc.

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a cam from a JDM head that we get here.

The matter is being passed around, I've already got emails from 2-3 different people who are on the case. This morning, someone called Tom from Crower emailed me a few details about the cam regrind. Dave had previously been a little optimistic about the durations. Seems like he got back on my case and did a few calculations after checking the cam material, base circle, hardness, etc.

I have yet to get a confirmation if I need to send in a second cam or if they will handle it themselves. I'm not happy that this happened, but I'm happy that they are choosing to resolve it and are keeping me in the loop since this is a much more involved process than "Go to website > find specific cam > Add to cart > Checkout > Pay money > Done".

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So another update. They found the original cam core. I was scared because it was from a JDM D15B nonvtec head and the cam would've been different (LSA) compared to a Y7 which I would have to end up using.

Dave has been working on my design for a few days now and I've been running the numbers through various simulations. I cannot reveal the numbers but it has a FAT mid-range, perfect for my application. We will just be fleshing out the numbers and making a few changes before the cam is reground. Will have pics once the work is done.

Conclusion so far: Email isn't the best way to communicate with Crower. But the people are very helpful otherwise. Rest after I put the cam in the engine :)

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
damn dude you still haven't got your cam?
I remember I called Crower for you some time last year!! :pinch:

Of course they don't have regrinded cores no more. Nobody does. I don't care who says what. That's why they have cams sent to them.

Good thing they found your cam lol. That would have been a tough nut to crack.

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks for a quick reply, martyr1391

i got two ongoing project 1 is zc sohc and b16a, this is my second post as you can see since 2009, most of the time i'm just reading the thread or use an search tab, and i always got the answer and to avoid being spammer...i'll be in new york this coming july 4-5th ...

thanks

·
Registered
97 ej8 & 95 eh9
52 Posts
I had the same problem with them on a warranty job. It took them like 3 months for them to get it back to me. The said they ran our of blanks, and unless they receive multiple orders, they don't just order 1.
I did get it, but they kind of scheme you like that. You don't buy a car that's not on the lot, so why sell cams you don't have.....

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The hilarious thing is that I still don't have the cam. It's supposedly done, from what I've been told over the phone and via email. I will only believe them when I have the cam in my hands and can measure the change in base circle and lift with a micrometer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts