Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So iv been thinking a lot lately about what
Type or connecting rods to get. First I would
Like to say that I make 500 every two weeks.
So...yeah

So to the question

I know crower is the best in the busness
And there rods are rateed to like 1000-1200 hp
Or somthin like that I really want to get them
But It's a lot of money and I don't know
If there worth the big ballin $1000 I'm looking
For a VERY safe relible 300-400 hp.and more
In the future..are they worth the extra
Money or should I go with eagle someone
On here said eagles are good to 600hp..some
People are using fj not sure what there hp
Limit is...
D15b7 I drive my cars hard daily so that's
Why I want top of the line rod
So any helpful input would be great. Never built
An engine before. Just lookin to do things
Right the...the first time. lol
D15b7 I drive my cars hard daily so that's
Why I want top of the line rod

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is it even possible to turn a D15B7 into a high horsepower car? if so i gotta know how cause just listening to my engine it sounds like it could never handle power lol

·
Registered
253 Posts
crower rods for the d15 are just stupid.

eagle doesnt make rods for the d15 (unless you have the jdm d15b which has d16 size rod journals, in which case a d16 rod will fit)

for your d15b7, the only manufacturer that makes forged rods at a reasonable price is FJ, but they're specifically for Vitaras. I say just get the whole rod/vitara kit. I just recieved mine in the mail today and theyre legit.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
About 400ish and a really good tune. The d15 cranks have the smaller journals. So if you wanna push super high hp then I'd just build a d16. The d15 may have reliability issues because the crank may not handle the hp you want. The rods won't be the weak point. The crank will in this case and you could snap the crank with too much boost. Unless you get the jdm d15b block and crank.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Couldn't I buy a forged crank then...
I think eagle may sell one...might have to
Custome order it ...I da know...what's a stock
Crank good to..?
Pretty sure honda cranks are forged. I believe the figure I heard for stock cranks was somewhere in the vicinity of 600 whp.

·
Meat Popsicle
2,918 Posts
Get a d16a6 block and be done w it. B7 and A6 heads are the same casting (as far as I know) and d16 rods are way easier to come by. Crower rods do NOT require notching of the block and are good for more HP than you will likely make. Eagle rods are cheaper but the block will need to be notched to accommodate them.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
A D15 crank does not need as big a journals as a D16 to retain the same strength as it is a shorter stroke.

The strength of a crank comes largely from journal overlap and the width of the throws, presuming the same steel and process and basic design is used.

Without having them in front of me to check, I am pretty sure Honda cranks and rods are forged steel.

the Honda cranks also have a rolled fillet radius which is much stronger than a ground radius.

The main reason to use a D16 instead of a D15 is that at the end of the day, high performance internal parts are cheaper and easier to buy.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Couldn't I buy a forged crank then...
I think eagle may sell one...might have to
Custome order it ...I da know...what's a stock
Crank good to..?
I just check their site and they don't carry a forged crank for you application wich means that if you gonna custom order it make sure to include knee pads and K-Y gel with it.

Get yourself a used D16 engine, look in the for sale tread and get yourself some new rods at crackhead price like I did, they have a few sets right now going on.

·
yellow bar for me
3,572 Posts
Im thinking you need to do ALOT more research before you decide to build an engine.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Use some common sense: building a turbo D-series is somewhat of a "budget" project to begin with. If you're prepared to fork out the cash for a custom crank from Crower, why wouldn't you spend that money on a better engine, or a better car?

That being said, people are making over 600hp on Vitara/FJ bottom ends. If this is your daily, a Vitara/FJ bottom end will support more power than you want, really.

I'd also recommend picking up a JDM D15 or a D16 since it's going to make you life a lot easier and cheaper in the long run.

Good luck with the build!

·
Registered
88 Posts
crower rods for the d15 are just stupid.

eagle doesnt make rods for the d15 (unless you have the jdm d15b which has d16 size rod journals, in which case a d16 rod will fit)

for your d15b7, the only manufacturer that makes forged rods at a reasonable price is FJ, but they're specifically for Vitaras. I say just get the whole rod/vitara kit. I just recieved mine in the mail today and theyre legit.
+1
get the rod/vitara kit from Fj,
those are the ones im goin after, and my car will be a DD

1 - 20 of 33 Posts