Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to install this cam in a D16Y8 head and rev it to 7,500rpm. Do i need springs and retainers, because some people tell me that I am safe to use stock springs & retainers and others tell me that I have to get atleast the springs, so I do not kno what to do. Do you recommend it be safe to stay with the stock springs & retainers or upgrade both or just the springs?

·
Registered
616 Posts
I am going to install this cam in a D16Y8 head and rev it to 7,500rpm. Do i need springs and retainers, because some people tell me that I am safe to use stock springs & retainers and others tell me that I have to get atleast the springs, so I do not kno what to do. Do you recommend it be safe to stay with the stock springs & retainers or upgrade both or just the springs?
i think you should get the springs and retainers. dont just get one and not the other. just my 2 cents. you should try asking one of the veterans like ryan89crx,transzex, or autoworks. they would deff know the right answer

·
Registered
395 Posts
I ran a stage 2 on my old car without upgraded valvetrain and hit 7,500rpms with no problems. You can do it, but I wouldnt recommend it. Its better to be safe then sorry.

·
Registered
857 Posts
If I'd be building engine with Stage 2 cam and such of low RPM limit, I might want to experiment with stock (preferably fresh) springs with titanium retainers. Ti retainers weight half of stock ones, and they'd increase valve float threshold a bit. Loosing some valvetrain weight is always good thing too.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Thanks for your help. Do they have to be crower or can they be another brand name?
they dont have to be crower but i think you should the crower springs and retainers anyway,cause they were made and tested using a crower cam,you get what im saying.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
they dont have to be crower but i think you should the crower springs and retainers anyway,cause they were made and tested using a crower cam,you get what im saying.
I understand what you say, but I do not have that kind of $$$, thinking on getting the springs and retainers from crespocams.com, although in tunerchoice.com they sell the crower springs and retainers for like $250 for both.

·
Administrator
16,376 Posts
not sure on the differences between the crower 2 and my exo stage 3 but im running on stock everything.. cam retarded at 2 degrees.... was running to 8k rpms for prolly 20k miles and 7400 now that im boosted for a decent amount of miles too... works for me

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
im going to run a Y8/A6 mini-me with a crower stg 2. Im going to use crower springs and stock retainers. Don uses OE retainers on his D15B with a Bisi level X and P29s without an issue.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Crowers retainers are made from a high quality titanium alloy, supposedly not wearing out as quickly as some other brands.
I read this on a honda-tech thread perhaps a few years ago. I have the Crower valve train myself, and it works great so far.

·
Registered
616 Posts
i recently took my valve cover off just to take a look at the head my crower retainers are still in perfect condition. Love them

1 - 15 of 15 Posts