Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to learn the process of Cam Degreeing. I understand the basic concept but still have many questions.

My Setup:
D16A6 Block thats been milled
D16y8 Head thats been decked
Crower Stage 3 cam part# 63443Y
D16y8 AEM Cam Gear

I wanted to degree in the cam while the head is on the block.
I understand you install the degree wheel at the crank and bring piston number 1 to Top Dead Center with a Dial Gauge and then mark the Degree Wheel with some sort of mark at 0 degree. BTW, how can one make a "positive stop device" to insert into the spark plug thread to calculate the piston TDC.

Next i understand you install a dial gauge and set it on top of the intake valve retainer.

Now is where i get confused...looking at the specs of the cam (picture attached), can some one guide me as to what i need to do to degree in the cam from here on?...and does the timing belt need to be removed or not? also, do i degree the cam on the low lobe or on the vtec lobe? and lastly, what does it mean to "correct only at .050" tappet lift"

Thanks much,
Nik

·
Registered
90 civic si, 88 rx7
5 Posts
Hi, I am doing a similar setup, A6 block, Y8 head, both decked and a stage 2 crower cam.

(BEFORE YOU START, YOU MUST HAVE VTEC "LOCKED IN") - THIS IS WHAT I'M NOT SURE HOW TO DO USING AIR PRESSURE. If anyone knows this info for a d16/y8 or similar engine, PLEASE PM me.

1 - I bought a comp cams degree wheel kit that came with a "piston stop" that works perfect. You might be able to contact comp cams and get just the stop. I bought my kit from Jegs.com. It comes with everything you need, except I bought my checking springs from Lowe's and made a bracket to mount my dial indicator to the rocker arm assembly.

2 - Once you have moved your degree wheel to true top dead center, number one cylinder, You turn the engine over and watch your affixed dial indicator and when the valve opens, turn the engine and stop it when the dial indicator starts moving again in the opposite directioin. Zero your dial indicator. Turn the engine in the opposite direction it normally operates until the D.I. reads 0.100". Then turn the engine in the normal direction (counter-clockwise) until the D.I. reads 0.050" Record the degree that your degree wheel is on. Continue turning the engine in normal rotation until you pass zero and reach 0.050". Record the degree wheel again. Add these two numbers (remember to record in 360 degrees) together and divide by 2. This degree is your true Intake Centerline. This number should be at 109 degrees for your cam to be "degreed in" If it is not, you need an adjustable cam gear and you would need to adjust that. Then remeasure to be safe.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts